Exam info

Hi

You would think I had been locked up past year or so because today I find that these exams are available and decided this is best instead of MCSA path

Starting Fresh (No Upgrades):
MCITP: Server Administrator (3 Exams) -
70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring
70-642: MCTS: Network Infrastructure, Configuring
70-646: MCITP: Server Administrator

Is this really 3 X £103 or can I pay for just 1 exam and get this cert

What can I expect for 70-640 compared to the Server 2003 exam, easier or harder, is there more or less to learn, etc

Thanks in advance

lee H

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have to pay and take all three exams. I think they're probably going to be on par as far as difficulty goes (and that will vary between exams). I have heard that the questions aren't as lengthy and are more to the point though.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Would I receive a certificate and badge and new card through the post just for passing 70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring?

This is the first in the list but which one would be more benificial to pass first?
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Lee H wrote: »
    Would I receive a certificate and badge and new card through the post just for passing 70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring?

No, MS stopped doing the badges a while ago :) You'll get a new cert for each MCTS you pass, but you'll only get a new card for each new credential gained, eg if the 70-640 was your first MCTS exam, you'll get the card, but you won't get a new card if you pass the 70-642
    Lee H wrote: »
    This is the first in the list but which one would be more benificial to pass first?

I would say the 70-640, the AD one.

Are you currenly working with Win2k8?

-Ken
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Shame about the badge, ive worn my MCP badge all of 0 times, lol

I have the MCSA core requirements box of books and the server 2003 book is always at arms reach next to PC but rarely opened, now it seems a better idea to persue MCITP

A volume licence key for server 2008 would be nice, anyone got one, lol
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    You can download from Microsoft Eval versions of Windows 2008 I am pretty sure.

I passed 70-640 last week and you need to know a VM Environment as by the time you do your exam, you will probably be doing the 083-640 Exam which is for 70-640 but includes VM's and Mutli-choice questions. You now cannot just pass by ticking the boxes!

My exam was the 083-640 which is only available in a few countries at the moment.

I highly recommend the MS Press books which come with the Measure Up Test preps as well as an Eval for 2008. Well worth the coin.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I highly recommend the MS Press books which come with the Measure Up Test preps as well as an Eval for 2008. Well worth the coin.

Just make sure you check the book corrections.

Worst one I read so far :

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-431): Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005—Implementation and Maintenance comments and corrections

In fact, I stopped reading it...

Even 70-640 has quite a few

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory® comments and corrections

70-642 isn't too bad

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Network Infrastructure comments and corrections

Although even if it isn't too bad - books like that shouldn't have any mistakes to be honest, especially considering the price you pay for them ..

Considering that a lot of mistakes are simply coding or command errors, I don't understand how these errors can happen in the first place. It should be easy enough to get someone new to this topic going through the excercises.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Yes I think I did find a code error in 70-640 now that you mention it, the commands to change an IP address and DNSSERVER via cmd prompt in RODC were wrong from memory.

In saying that it's still a good reference book.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete