Options

AD DNS & multiple NICs

JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
What do you guys normally do for a domain controller with AD integrated DNS that has multiple NICs?

I have 3 here, one is for the remote access card so im leaving it dedicated. But unless i team the NICs i will have 2 DNS numbers for this one box.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    If the DC isn't listening for DNS requests on all addresses (it does by default) then you can uncheck the 'register this connection address in DNS' and it really won't register the address. Otherwise the server will always register every ip address in DNS.

Configuring Multihomed Servers
    Restrict a DNS server to listen only on selected addresses
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Very simple policy of mine: don't make a server multihomed unless it absolutely needs it.

What to you mean "remote access card"?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Very simple policy of mine: don't make a server multihomed unless it absolutely needs it.

What to you mean "remote access card"?

A Dell Remote Access Controller (DRAC) card.

I dont really mind having it register in DNS, i just dont want to list 6 DNS numbers in the DHCP settings (3 DCs x 2 NICs each)
  • Options
    I'd team the NIC.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Check.

I think thats what ill do, as these will be bandwidth intensive DCs and I dont want to just give them one NIC for use.
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    Check.

I think thats what ill do, as these will be bandwidth intensive DCs and I dont want to just give them one NIC for use.

Especially with DC's that are very sensitive to DNS records being right, etc., it's almost always a bad idea to multihome a domain controller. In fact, the only exception I can think of is a Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition server running ISA on the same box, and even that I'm not wild about doing.

For application servers unless the app specifically calls for it (RAS or ISA server for example) aside from clusters that need something like a heartbeat isolated network, I never multihome. Team? Absolutely, but never multihome.
    Good luck to all!