Options

Internet not working on VM's

electricityelectricity Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, first post here. Was referred to this site by an existing member.

I am using Workstation 6 and have 2 DC's and a Vista client. The internet does not work on any VM. The three machines can speak with each other and there are no DNS problems, AD replication occurs happily.

DC1 (DNS, DHCP):
IP : 192.168.100.200
Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.100.201
DNS : 192.168.100.201 , 192.168.100.200

DC2 (DNS):
IP : 192.168.100.201
DNS : 192.168.100.200 , 192.168.100.201

Vista:
Addressing Info from DHCP server.

I have turned off the VMware DHCP and NAT services. What do I need to do in order to get the Internet to work on all the VM's. Please let me know if more info is needed to help me fix this.

Help's greatly appreciated. BTW. this message board seems like a great place to be and it's free of **** (which is what I like most).

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You gateway address seems to be incorrect. The default gateway is not going to be DC2. The default gateway is going to be the IP address of the layer 3 device routing traffic to and from the 192.168.100.0 subnet. If I had to take a guess I would say that address is either 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.254. Your network staff should have the answer to this.
    Hi all, first post here. Was referred to this site by an existing member.

I am using Workstation 6 and have 2 DC's and a Vista client. The internet does not work on any VM. The three machines can speak with each other and there are no DNS problems, AD replication occurs happily.

DC1 (DNS, DHCP):
    IP : 192.168.100.200
    DNS : 192.168.100.201 , 192.168.100.200

DC2 (DNS):
    IP : 192.168.100.201
    DNS : 192.168.100.200 , 192.168.100.201

Vista:
    Addressing Info from DHCP server.

I have turned off the VMware DHCP and NAT services. What do I need to do in order to get the Internet to work on all the VM's. Please let me know if more info is needed to help me fix this.

Help's greatly appreciated. BTW. this message board seems like a great place to be and it's free of **** (which is what I like most).
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response there. This is just a lab environment. There isnt a physical L3 device. I am thinking I am going to need some kind of a NAT service that will translate DC2 address to something that's routable.

BTW, the networking on the VM's is "host-only". Could that be why the internet doesnt work?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BTW, the networking on the VM's is "host-only". Could that be why the internet doesnt work?

icon_thumright.gif

Use either NAT or bridged (if you don't mind the VMs picking up real addresses from your router, etc).
  • Options
    I dont want the VM's to be getting any addresses from the router. I want the DHCP server to be the one it's getting the IP from. But still I want the Internet to work. Surely there would be a way around this. Come on techies... :)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you could get by with using NAT, your VM's would use your host's IP address when communicating with the physical network.

I prefer to use host only myself to keep my VM environment separate from my production network. There are freebie VM routers you can set up, have one interface on your host only net and one bridged interface on your external net, and use that VM as the gateway.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    There are freebie VM routers you can set up, have one interface on your host only net and one bridged interface on your external net, and use that VM as the gateway.

blargoe, could you please elaborate just a little bit on what you mean by a freebie VM router. Yeah, I too want the VM's to be isolated from the rest of the network so I can break/fix stuff without losing my job.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could always just install and configure RRAS on one of your Server 2003 machines. You'd need a vNIC that can connect to the network via NAT or bridge (probably NAT, given your requirements), then you'd use that as your public interface, and finally you'd use another vNIC that's on your virtual LAN as the gateway for the other machines.

If you don't want to use RRAS, you can use a Linux Distro or Linux-based virtual appliance, as Blargoe mentioned.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't have any particular appliance in mind (we have a physically separate network to use here for development), but I know I've searched for a VM router in the past and was able to get it to work... google "free vmware router appliance" or something like that and you'll turn up some stuff. They will be running some flavor of linux.

Or, you can use Windows 2003 RRAS like dynamic mentioned.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can set them all up as NAT and grab the DHCP lease from the host on one of the VM so you know the correct IP range/subnet/gateway/etc, afterwards disable the DHCP server on the host and configure your DHCP server with the same settings.