Options

how's this deal sound?

sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
I have a colleuge who obtained his CCNA a few months ago and is selling his equipment. He has:

Cisco 2501
Cisco 2505
Cisco 2513
Cisco 2514
Cisco 4000
Cisco 2924C XL-EN (2)

And he is asking $300 for all of it. Sound good?

As for me, I plan on taking the CCNA in the near future. Does this sound adequate or is it overkill?

Comments

• Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    I would tell him you don't want the Switches, and I would pick up 2 Catalyst 2950s off of Ebay. The routers are a good start. Depending on what IOS is on the routers, I would try to talk him down a little bit. If you can get those routers for $225.00 or less, I'd give that a shot.

Trust me, you do NOT want those 1924's unless you can get them for free. The very latest IOS you can get for them, (12.05, AFAIK) is not capable of doing many of the functions/commands that a 2950 can.

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    pogue wrote: »
    I would tell him you don't want the Switches, and I would pick up 2 Catalyst 2950s off of Ebay. The routers are a good start. Depending on what IOS is on the routers, I would try to talk him down a little bit. If you can get those routers for $225.00 or less, I'd give that a shot.

Trust me, you do NOT want those 1924's unless you can get them for free. The very latest IOS you can get for them, (12.05, AFAIK) is not capable of doing many of the functions/commands that a 2950 can.

Russ

Got it, thanks.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    pogue wrote: »
    Trust me, you do NOT want those 1924's unless you can get them for free.
    There aren't any 1900s on that list. The 2900XLs aren't ideal but they can be used at a pinch if you're aware of the command differences.

You don't want the Catalyst 4000. It is huge and consumes a large amount of power.

As for whether it is a good deal or not, I have no clue.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    There aren't any 1900s on that list. The 2900XLs aren't ideal but they can be used at a pinch if you're aware of the command differences.

You don't want the Catalyst 4000. It is huge and consumes a large amount of power.

As for whether it is a good deal or not, I have no clue.

Ooops...Meant 2924'a...Lulz..

Russ
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    And he is asking $300 for all of it. Sound good?
    Too expensive for what you're getting.... at least here in the US buying on eBay.

You could spend that and get a router that does trunking and supports SDM (which you need for the CCNA), and a router to act as a frame relay switch for hub router and 2 spoke routers and still have enough left for 2 2950 switches (and one 2924XL-EN to act as a 3rd switch).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Way too expensive. There's not a modern router or switch in the bunch.

Not that I blame your friend for wanting that much. He probably spent more than that if he bought those models a few years back.

Nowadays the 2500's you listed are worth $5-10 each, the 2514 maybe $20 since you get two ethernet i/f's

2924's run a semi-modern IOS with a lot of deprecated commands and might be worth $20 each.

A 4000 runs CatOS unless it's an upgraded 4006 (which I doubt).

If you get plenty of cables, transceivers, all the power cords, etc... then maybe it would be worth $100 to get you started.

Just my 2¢
  • Options
    LOL.. I guess I was off on my estimate of the router value.

D'oh.

Russ
  • Options
    ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    In fact, I've shopped exclusively on Ebay for all of my routers and switches. I've paid under $30 for most of my routers and switches. It might take a while to get a good deal but it's worth the wait. Set yourself up with a sniper program, like BayGenie, and set cheap bids for all the auctions your watching. You'll eventually win a few of them... I did.

The only exception was the octal cables for my access server cables which I found cheaper elsewhere - I used digiconcepts.com which was extremely fast and reliable. BTW, after you get 2 cisco boxes, you need to look at a 2509 access server (or a nm-16 or nm-32 card for your 26xx box) so you don't have to swap around the console cable.

However, go for the 2950's for your switches. All of the video tutorials I've seen all use these switches. I purchased a 2948g and is was a mistake. Don't go for the 2924's either...

Also, in regards to the routers, get one or two from each series (if you can). Start with a 2500, then get a 2600, and if you're lucky enough, a 1841 or a 2801 would be AWESOME!

However, 2950 switches and 2500/2600 routers are the best (and cheapest) way to build your home lab.

Good Luck!
    -Paul
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ptlinva wrote: »
    Also, in regards to the routers, get one or two from each series (if you can).
    Why would you want to get 1 from each series?
    ptlinva wrote: »
    However, 2950 switches and 2500/2600 routers are the best (and cheapest) way to build your home lab.
    Cheapest != Best

If you want to spend some money and get a good piece of equipment then buy a 2600XM series router. Anything older has trouble running 12.4.
  • Options
    ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    Yes, it seems that the XM series is a better way to go... They seem to go for a bit more $ as people know that they are better routers. I'm still learning and I didn't get the XM stuff, so most of my older routers are running 12.1-12.3.

However, I got lucky with the 2801 and a 1841 for my newest stuff so that rounded out my lab.

I just won a 3550 this evening which seem to go with my (2) 2950's for doing the VPN labs. I can't wait to get it...

I'm hoping that I don't have to purchase any more equipment as I'm in between jobs and working on the ol' resume and my labs and hoping for the best.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me as I would have had a hard time getting started without the wisdom of those on the list.

Thank you techexams!
    -Paul