Options

Different IOS releases? & I PASSED MY CCENT!!

ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
Hi Everyone!

I PASSED MY CCENT this past Friday! I was so excited... :D

I'm curious though, about the differences between major IOS versions. I've been lucky enough to download from Cisco newer IOS's for my switches and routers to upgrade my own test lab. This has taught me ALOT about upgrading the IOS and what (and what NOT) to do. :)

I usually go for the latest version determined by numbers (ie. 11.x to 12.1, 12.2 to 12.4, etc). For example, I'm looking at upgrading a CAT3550 switch and when I go to download I'm presented with...

12.1EA
12.2SE
12.2SEA
12.2SEB
12.2SEC
12.2SED
12.2SEE

In regards to 'major release', what do all various letters mean?

I'm able to figure out the 'release' and 'feature set/licenses' differences but I get confused when looking at the letters on the major release.

Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Your friend in Virginia,
Paul L.

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    try this :-
    Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

great tool icon_smile.gif

ps congrats on the pass
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Congrats on the pass :D

The letters indicate what the train release is. Have a look at here for some more info:

Cisco - White Paper: Cisco IOS Reference Guide
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass :D

The letters indicate what the train release is. Have a look at here for some more info:

Cisco - White Paper: Cisco IOS Reference Guide

nice one Luke much better icon_smile.gif cheers
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the congrats! I really do appreciate it. I'm going for the ICND2 in about two weeks (or sooner)... depending on when the vouchers go on sale again... <grin>

BTW, I really like the links...

I've been doing a lot of COMPARING IOS versions which seems to be helping me grasp the different versions.
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Also check out this link about the Comeback2009 promotion, which entitles you to take a free resit of a failed Cisco exam if this provides any comfort :)

Cisco Come Back 2009 Promotion
  • Options
    Yes, I was told that I would qualify for a free retake by the online chat person at getcertify4less.com when I purchased my voucher for my first cisco test.

I will probably always use them for my vouchers because they were so fast and friendly. Besides, I had a bad experience trying to purchase one on Ebay that I never received.

For $85, it was great... especially compared to the normal $125 (i think).

The only thing is that expire rather quickly so you only have a few days/week to take the test before it expires. So just wait until your ready then go for it...

They come out with the discounted vouchers towards the end of each month. Go online and chat with them to find out more...

Thanks Luke! Have a wonderful day! :)