Options

career in Infosec

kiran_09kiran_09 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I want to pursue career in InfoSec. presently i have 8 + yrs of exp in IT with CCNP certification. Will CEH exam help me to switch from IT support to Infosec.

Thanks in advance..

K

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    It depends on what you want to specialize in with a career in Infosec. The CEH is for penetration testing and vulnerability analysis of networks. Arr these part of your career goals? If so, the CEH will "help" you towards that goal, but only your professional work experience will assure you of getting a job.
  • Options
    kiran_09kiran_09 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your advice. My only intention is to switch over my career to Infosec. If i start with CEH will it help. Can i get a job after completing CEH.

Thanks in advance

K
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After 8+ years of experience in IT support, with just a CEH without the experience, do not expect to get paid the same. It is your experience that will make the actual switch, with a CEH they might let you get your foot in there since CEH is sort of a newbies' certification in InfoSec.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I went from doing heavy networking to a infosec career doing pen testing, social engineering, etc. It doesn't really matter what certs you have. With your CCNP you can pretty much work in any field of IT. I had zero security experience (beyond firewalls that is) and my employer was ecstatic to have me on board. Strong network skills are a fundamental aspect of infosec.

I would drop the CEH and pick up something more like the SSCP. It has more practical knowledge, has more industry respect, and will get you more $$$$, which is what it's all about.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    It's worth noting that "who you know" and "just plain luck" are also factors that influence the direction of your career. They've both worked for me. ;)
  • Options
    j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, sitting for the CEH requires that you either take their training class or have two years of security experience.
  • Options
    j_a_s_o_n wrote: »
    Also, sitting for the CEH requires that you either take their training class or have two years of security experience.
    True, but EC-Council has been rather accepting of candidates with only academic experience too. It doesn't hurt for anyone to ask if they qualify for CEH certification.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very true, I qualified based on educational background.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting. What is your education background, if you don't mind my asking?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    j_a_s_o_n wrote: »
    Interesting. What is your education background, if you don't mind my asking?

If you write a letter stating your current experience professional or education and let them know why you want to take the exam. They have been known to waive the experience for the right reasons when asking them is what I've been told.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BS in Computing and Security Technology....I took a lot of security courses. What I did was send every security related course I took and it's description. Then listed the certifications that I had. They are really pretty good about waiving experience.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff