Options

70-293: Fail x2

Scored a 682 this time. What a kick in the face. 50 questions again. I understand this material far better than any other material on a past exam and still I didn't pass. This exam is just a bugger. I passed the CCNA on the 1st try and now this one hands me my hat twice?

To heck with the 900+ score, I'm going for the 700 Club.
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unlucky! I hated this exam (mostly the wording). Just keep at it, you'll knock it out soon enough icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    szmarcekszmarcek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    682! Get drank and take it again:D. I am sure you will pass it.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    While I haven't failed this exam (I did the 2k upgrade path), I know how you feel. I've failed two other exams 2x before. You'll get there :)

-ken
  • Options
    docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Think every one will agree that its one hardest out of the MSCE core.
    I'm sure you will get next time but it is hard to miss by possibly only one question or so. Stick in and sit again soon while still fresh.
    Look forward to saying you passed net time.
    D.S.
  • Options
    ElwoodBluesElwoodBlues Member Posts: 117
    I bet I can tell you which numbers you missed (I made a 682 the second time as well). Well, maybe not exactly. My point is, I understand exactly how you feel. But, I bet you will nail it next time.

I am taking mine next week and I plan to punish the exam for the mean things it hath done to me (at least until I reach a score of 700).
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement, it's very much appreciated! Basically, I felt sorry for myself for about an hour and then went out to getcertify4less.com and bought a new voucher w/the Transcender pack.

Upon reflection, the area I think I'm scoring weak on is Security Templates. My Sybex book never went into template priority's or order of import. Does anyone have any good info on that? There's a disconnect there that I need to bridge.
    I bet I can tell you which numbers you missed (I made a 682 the second time as well). Well, maybe not exactly. My point is, I understand exactly how you feel. But, I bet you will nail it next time.

I am taking mine next week and I plan to punish the exam for the mean things it hath done to me (at least until I reach a score of 700).

I couldn't get a test date until May 27th! Ugh! I really only need to strengthen a couple of areas and I don't need two weeks for that. Oh well, what can ya do. :)

I saw that you, Elwood, also got a 682 on your 2nd try as well. Didn't you say you felt comfortable taking the test as well, at least until the later half?

I felt good just about the whole way through with the exception of a handful of questions.

With the 2nd shot offer I'll give it 2 more go's and if I still can't pass, I'll take a break from MS and move onto something else for a while.

Darn you Bill!!
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Oh so close, your literally like 1 question away. I also got pwnd by beast jr a couple times as well, so your definitely not alone.

You'll get it next time icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Upon reflection, the area I think I'm scoring weak on is Security Templates. My Sybex book never went into template priority's or order of import. Does anyone have any good info on that? There's a disconnect there that I need to bridge.

You basically just apply the most general first and work your way to the most specific. Is there anything in particular you're having a problem with?

Sorry to hear about the fail; it seems like next time's the one!
  • Options
    ElwoodBluesElwoodBlues Member Posts: 117
    dynamik wrote: »
    You basically just apply the most general first and work your way to the most specific.

And remote access policies (RRAS) are just the reverse. You apply the most specific then the most general.

A couple of these little tricks and you will be a wiz at all aspects of this exam.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Man Gen, sorry to hear about the fail. You'll get it! I have had to reschedule 2 times now due to work/family issues, got mine on the 29th, come hell or high water.

I think the Transcender has been the best for in in regards to granular and in depth explanations. Even if I grade each question, I still read it for repetition and maybe it will show me something else I might be missing.

These topics are where the labbing is most important. Don't forget the cumulative effect as well in the order.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    rocalien81rocalien81 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey I know how it feels to miss out twice(on another exam) and come the third time I was doubting myself hard but I stuck to it and aced it the 3rd time round, keep at it and all the best for the next one
    "Without hard work, nothing grows but weed."

Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Thanks Moto & roc, the encouragement does help. Hopefully 3rd times a charm for me as well. :)
    dynamik wrote: »
    You basically just apply the most general first and work your way to the most specific. Is there anything in particular you're having a problem with?

Sorry to hear about the fail; it seems like next time's the one!

The thing is, I don't really know what I'm struggling with because I feel like I understand Templates, what they're for and how to apply them. What doesn't make sense is, applying multiple templates. Here's what I understand:

Take a default template and run a config analysis on it. Make the changes you want and then save it as a custom inf file.

Open GPM and create a GPO. Right click the GP, select 'Edit' and then go to Security Settings under Computer settings and finally, import the new template. Close out of the GP editor and then link the policy to the appropriate OU.

When dealing with multiple sec templates, do you just then create new GPO's, import a different custom templates and then link that GP to the same OU? Or do you just keep applying the successive, more restrictive templates to the same Security Settings?
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    You were so close mate.You missed out by 1 question i guess but keep it up and im sure the next time you do the exam will pass.You improved since your last try so keep it up you are so close.

icon_thumright.gif