Options

Home Lab Help

col85col85 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking for some help on a lab topology setup, what would be the best setup using the below kit so i am able to use it for everyday use ( internet access ) aswell as practicing for my CCNA.

i have just purchased the follow kit

1 x 2610XM Router IOS 12.4T

ADV SECURITY K9 (128/32)

1 x 2610 Router IOS 12.3

1 x 2522 Router (Frame Relay) 10 SERIALS

2 x 2924-XL-EN Switch

1 x 2501 Router

2 x WIC 1T

1 x WIC BS/T

2 x DTE-DCE crossover cable

2 x Console

1X Watchgaurd Firewall

i also have a netgear router which is currently used for internet access

I have 3 PCs and i a PS3 that id like to be able to use the internet connection at all times, with several other laptops etc that can be connected if needed

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    col85 wrote: »
    I am looking for some help on a lab topology setup, what would be the best setup using the below kit so i am able to use it for everyday use ( internet access ) aswell as practicing for my CCNA.
    You don't want to run your regular internet access through your lab. The routers you've listed are not actually that fast and will restrict the throughput of most broadband connections. Also, since it is a lab you will be reconfiguring and moving items around all the time. You don't want your internet connection to die each time you do.
    2 x 2924-XL-EN Switch
    You should buy 2x2950 switches and use those as your main ones. The 2900XL series switches have some differences in command syntax which are important. You can use the 2900XL series switches as your 3rd switch however. If you're aware of the differences and can remember the newer commands then you'll be okay however.
    i also have a netgear router which is currently used for internet access
    You'll be continuing to use this for your internet access.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't think any of the routers on your list can function as a router for your internet connection, as you need to have at least two ethernet or fastethernet interfaces and it doesn't look like any of those fit the bill.

Going back a few years, I used a 2514 as my DSL router (via PPPoe) and am currently using a 2621 for the same role. No bandwidth hit, as my 1.0 Mbps DSL line is way slower than fast ethernet (100Mbps) or even plain old ethernet (10 Mbps).

Although nowadays, if you use a 2500 and your DSL or cable modem is really new, it might have a 1Gbps auto-sense port that might not play nice with a 10 Mbps half duplex i/f.

You certainly don't need to connect your Cisco gear to the internet to pass the CCNA (or even the CCNP). I just do it since I like having Cisco gear throughout my network.

Good luck with your lab!

:)