Question About RIS

DnA1409DnA1409 Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm due to take my 70-271 exam on Friday 22nd May and have read the Microsoft 70-271 Press Book twice now but still cant remember it all, there is too much to remember!

Just going through the bits that i'm not entirely sure about (quite a few bits actually). One of many things i'm not entirely confident on are RIS installations.

I have read a few articles as well as the section in the book on this but i still cant get my head round the solution for computers with NIC's that are not PXE compliant. I'm led to believe that NIC's that are not PXE compliant can still be used to perform an RIS installation by using a boot disk, but after getting a question wrong on the practice exam from the CD of the book i'm not sure that this is true?

Maybe it was a mistake in the exam? I've come accross questions that ask to select an area of a graphic for a question on Internet Explorer questions and its displayed a graphic of the Power Configuration Options screen?

Comments

  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Posts: 225Member
    Do you have much hands on experience? If you don't, that can sometimes make it hard to remember new information. If you haven't done the practice exercises at the end of the chapters and you are new to the IT field that won't help you with learning new things.

    Most if not all NICs these days are PXE boot compatible (set from within the BIOS), so it's unlikely you would see this in the field and probably not in the 70-271 exam either. Maybe you could get a question about not being able to PXE boot and what would you use alternatively to PXE boot, but that would probably be as far as it would go.

    For Reference: Remote Installation Services boot disk
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Posts: 260Member
    This was very hard for me to understand before as well. Here is how it works:

    The boot disk is the next solution, ONLY if you have a network adapter that's supported by Microsoft. How do I find out if my network adapter is supported? When you run the rbfg.exe file, there is a button that says "adapter list". This will show you which adapters are supported for using the Remote Book Disk Generator.

    The deal is... when it comes to using a network adapter that's PXE complaint.. you can use ANY adapter that's PXE complaint (you don't need to look at any qualifying list to see if your PXE complaint adapter will work). Of course, the PXE adapter must be compatible with your OS (example: Can't install a Macintosh only adapter on Windows XP). If you don't have an adapter that's PXE complaint, and then you're wanting to use rbfg.exe... NOW your adapter must be in the adapters list, or else the rbfg.exe solution is not going to work.

    Makes sense?
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • DnA1409DnA1409 Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    gravyjoe wrote: »
    This was very hard for me to understand before as well. Here is how it works:

    The boot disk is the next solution, ONLY if you have a network adapter that's supported by Microsoft. How do I find out if my network adapter is supported? When you run the rbfg.exe file, there is a button that says "adapter list". This will show you which adapters are supported for using the Remote Book Disk Generator.

    The deal is... when it comes to using a network adapter that's PXE complaint.. you can use ANY adapter that's PXE complaint (you don't need to look at any qualifying list to see if your PXE complaint adapter will work). Of course, the PXE adapter must be compatible with your OS (example: Can't install a Macintosh only adapter on Windows XP). If you don't have an adapter that's PXE complaint, and then you're wanting to use rbfg.exe... NOW your adapter must be in the adapters list, or else the rbfg.exe solution is not going to work.

    Makes sense?

    Thanks Gravyjoe,

    That has helped me understand greatly, i can see the big picture now icon_thumright.gif
    WanBoy67 wrote: »
    Do you have much hands on experience? If you don't, that can sometimes make it hard to remember new information. If you haven't done the practice exercises at the end of the chapters and you are new to the IT field that won't help you with learning new things.

    I don't have much hands on experience in this field, in fact i dont have much hands on experience with alot of topics covered in this exam. Maybe i should go through the book and complete all exercises before i sit the exam Friday?

    I have just sat the Trancender exam - out of 50 questions i got 74%, what is the pass percentage i must achieve to pass? Do you think i require alot more reading/practice to pass this exam?
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Posts: 225Member
    DnA1409 wrote: »
    I have just sat the Trancender exam - out of 50 questions i got 74%, what is the pass percentage i must achieve to pass? Do you think i require alot more reading/practice to pass this exam?

    You need 70% for the actual exam. You are close to passing the exam if you are getting 74%, maybe revise the chapters, cover your weak points, do hands on, retake Transcender and hopefully get closer to the 80 to 90% range before taking the exam. Did you sign up for second shot? If not it might be better to cancel your exam and reschedule using a second shot voucher just in case you don't pass it first time. You get a free re-test if you fail when you book your test using the voucher number. Good luck with the exam, I'm sure you'll do fine!

    http://www.microsoft.com/Learning/Mcp/Offers/Secondshot/Default.Mspx
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • DnA1409DnA1409 Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Wanboy, thats given me a bit more confidence :)

    I havn't gone for the second shot as i used the money off voucher that came with the exam. I'm not too fussed about the cost of retaking it as the company i work for are paying for it, i just dont want to fail it because it would mean that i would be the first to fail an exam at my work and i'm afraid it might make me look stupid.

    There are 5 technicians in our company and only 1 other person has done this exam and passed first time. only 3 of us have our CompTIA A+ certification the other 2 have none, out of the 3 we all passed first time on our CompTIA A+ certification.

    I know i'm probably just being stupid but in my expeience it seems that companies only remember times you have screwed up rather than the times you have done well (unless thats just the company i work for, lol).
  • gandalphgpgandalphgp Posts: 11Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    couple of things to remember if you are doing a RIS installation you need DHCP,DNS and AD to be running and it is better if RIS server is also DHCP server
Sign In or Register to comment.