Options

Anyone running Windows 7 Beta as their primary OS?

SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've given it some consideration. I think that it would be advantageous from a learning standpoint -- running all of my apps and keeping all of my data in Windows 7 would help me to learn more, and learn faster. I've been running it for about a week and a half in a virtual machine, and I've run in to no problems. The only real concern I have right now about running it as my primary OS is security. In its current state, is Windows 7 a lot more vulnerable to attacks/malware than Vista, even with the proper AV/security tools installed and active?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am on my laptop. While it is an RC, I really wouldn't worry about security. There's always going to be risk of something being exploited whether something is beta, RC, or RTM. It's as secure as they can make it at the moment; it's not like there are gaping holes in it. I'm sure vulnerabilities will be discovered (and subsequently patched) like any other OS.
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    I would but VMWare workstation does not run 64 bit OS's for me.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Do what i did.

Replace your vista boot loader with the Windows 7 one (essentially same stuff, but there are some improvements to the 7 version)

Install windows 7 to a VHD and natively boot into that VHD. You can use 2 OS's on your one computer without wiping or disrupting the Vista install.
  • Options
    I'd say VMWare will sort it out soon. I downloaded it 2/3 weeks ago, if it hasn't been updated since it should be soon enough. Had to cancel 7 beta too so, I'll give it a week or two.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why didn't you just use a 32-bit version?
  • Options
    I downloaded the EBS trial which is 64 bit only. I wanted to check out SCCM express.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I'm running Windows 7 RC as my main OS on my work laptop and the only problem that I've come across so far is that after 20 mins of playing UT3 the screen went black - however unsure if it was a Window 7 RC problem, a UT3 problem or the fact that I upgraded the CPU in the laptop from a C2D 2GHz to a C2D 2.4GHz (I have run the laptop for hours without errors and this is the first time since beta 3 this has happened).

-Ken
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I'm running Windows 7 RC as both 32- and 64-bit guests in VMWare, but they aren't production systems for me. Right now, I'm more interested in how Windows 7 is identified by software, appears on network "radar," and reacts to probing. So far, W7's behavior and "DNA" is pretty much that of Windows Vista. And no surprise at that because 80%+ of W7 is Vista.

For people interested in the development, use, and internals of Windows 7, I highly recommend Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows and his Windows Weekly podcast with Leo Laporte.

Download Windows 7 RC here
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am. Running on Corei7 with 12GB RAM and some SATA drives. Works like a charm. Fast. No real compatibility problems. Plays my old games, plays new games, browses the web just fine and dandy. Going to start introuducing it to the domain etc soon.
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    W7 RC1 on my laptop from work. Runs great, fast and stable. So far it has been compatible with everything but my Symantec AV.

I will install it in my PC maybe next week.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    Running on Corei7 with 12GB RAM and some SATA drives.
    Dude, you're wasting that machine on a single Windows 7 installation. Put VMWare ESXi server 3.5 on it and run a dozen instances of Windows 7! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Running win7 x64 on my main pc with 8gb ram and win7 x32 on my laptop. Having some trouble with xp mode but nothing that won't get sorted out with a MB and Processor upgrade. Getting ready to plug them into my 2k8 server for more fun with windows.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    Windows 7 trivia : the Windows XP virtual compatibility mode only supports 32-bit apps--even in x64 Windows 7.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Windows 7 trivia : the Windows XP virtual compatibility mode only supports 32-bit apps--even in x64 Windows 7.

we are messing around with that feature at work. I like Windows 7 so far, but haven't really "bench marked" it yet.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I run Windows 7 on my game..er workstation. icon_lol.gif

Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
    8GB of DDR2
    500GB SATA & 400GB SATA
    EVGA GTX260 896MB
    Corsair 750TX PSU

Works great icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336

and?

Next to nobody actually used x64 xp in a production environment.
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Jordus wrote: »
    and?

Next to nobody actually used x64 xp in a production environment.

I have a customer that is using it for solidworks 2009 in XP x64. Sucks trying to find drivers for plotters and other older equipment. Pulling drawing and components over the network with Vista doubled the time it took to open them and windows 7 is way to new to attempt.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Running as main of on XPS 1330. No problems yet. Everything still works but my trend micro av
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Used the Alpha at home, upgraded to Beta, upgraded to RC1 without any problems. Using the RC1 (upgraded from Beta) on my work PC and run the RC1 on my laptop. I only have W7 PCs and one Mac :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I switched my work laptop this weekend. I love me some Windows 7.

If you didn't already know, RSAT tools for 7 RC are out:

Download details: Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC)

You have to install the tools, but then you have to go the control panel and enable the feature, like you do in Server 2008.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been using 7 exclusively for several months now. the only issues that I have had are memory **** when exiting hibernation or unlocking the workstation/laptop. I much prefer it to XP and Vista. Unfortunately I have to use XP for my job but when 7 launches hopefully we will buy Windows 7 licenses. I also need to test whether or not my hack tools work on 7 without issues. I had problems running Daemon tools in 7 which would have been a big strike against it for work.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    blargoe wrote: »
    I switched my work laptop this weekend. I love me some Windows 7.

If you didn't already know, RSAT tools for 7 RC are out:

Download details: Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC)

You have to install the tools, but then you have to go the control panel and enable the feature, like you do in Server 2008.

Is DFS supported now?
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, you're wasting that machine on a single Windows 7 installation. Put VMWare ESXi server 3.5 on it and run a dozen instances of Windows 7! icon_cool.gif

Yeah - I have another raid array all set up with my server OS's for cert training. I wanted to use Windows 7 "for real" as I'll probably start recommending it to my firms clients as soon as it's available.
  • Options
    Andretii wrote: »
    Is DFS supported now?

Not sure, we've not deployed DFS yet
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I run Windows 7 on my game..er workstation. icon_lol.gif

Took the words right out of my mouth. icon_lol.gif

I've been seeing some of the quirks that others have been seeing, like the weirdness with Daemon Tools in the beta, (not the RC, though,) and a few hiccups here and there with various settings. For the most part, I'm digging Windows 7, and I see no reason to choose Vista or XP over it unless you have a specific reason to stick with what you've got.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□

I like your style sir.

By the way, running Win7 RC on my main work machine. I've run into very, very few problems.
  • Options
    ^:)

I only have two problems with Win 7 x64 on my primary PC... our call manager software doesn't work properly (more of an x64 issue than Win7 specifically), and EMC's Navisphere Manager web interface (Java) looks like CRAP... totally unusable. Neither issue will stop me from leaving 7 on my PC though. The RSAT tools work fine for managing our predominantly Windows 2003 network.

Oh yeah, Flash doesn't work in IE8 on x64 either, but works fine in Firefox. No workaround for using it in IE... since the last time I looked at the Adobe forums.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Oh yeah, Flash doesn't work in IE8 on x64 either, but works fine in Firefox. No workaround for using it in IE... since the last time I looked at the Adobe forums.

That's a general x64 issue, too. Flash refused to run on the x64 version of IE7 as well, Adobe's just never gotten around to creating a player for the 64-bit IE family.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I’ve been running Windows 7 RC(32BIT) for a few weeks a now without any issues. Well the only issue I’ve had appears to be driver related, just like when Vista came out my creative sound card failed to install and the drivers on the creative website caused a crash and ****. I can’t believe the same brand of sound card did it a second time around!

Otherwise I’ve been using Win7 as my main machine, all important information secured on a second hard drive just in case but I’ve had no issues software wise. All the usual programs install and run perfectly, uses less RAM than Vista seems snappier and faster than Vista. WiFi appears to be a lot more stable than Vista as well, I wonder if that in part maybe due to newer drivers for my WiFi card? The signal always dropped every few hours on Vista so far it’s 100% stable on 7 and I’m up a few extra bars.

My specs are:
    Q9400 2.66Ghz@3.44Ghz
    4GB DDRII 800Mhz
    320GB SATA 3.0 HDD + 160GB SATA 3.0
    Radeon 512MB 4830 PCIe 2.0
    Creative Audigy (not working driver issues)
    Onboard Sound ran out of the box, perfect
    Onboard NIC’s, 1394, everything else flawless no need to touch it

I use my machine for everything from videos watching and editing, music, games of course, I even work from it now and then.. I’m running a few VM’s in there as well, Paint Shop Pro, Office 2007, AVAST AV and a bunch of other programs, zip utilities.. etc

I wasn’t one to want to jump early from XP to Vista in part because of what a hog Vista was on system resources but now a few years later most of us have the available resources for Vista.. Windows 7 seems just right for the switch from Vista or even from XP for those still using it.