Where to go from Network+

datchidatchi Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed my Network+ and need some advice on where to go from here? Seems like the obvious choice would be Security+ or CCNA but I was wondering if I should take some time to learn ms servers? I'm not looking to get the MSCA as that seems like a lot of exam for a cert but am I correct in thinking that a CCNA wouldnt mean much if I can't work/maintain a ms server?

Any advice would be appreciated.

On a side note, this certificate thing is pretty addicting. I feel like a giant nerd for saying this but it reminds me of when I was 8 yrs old, playing those RPG...except it didn't cost so much money to level up in the game icon_sad.gif

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you want to do with your career? Do you want to work with MS servers? If not then not much point in getting certified on them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • datchidatchi Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm kind of split between networking and security right now, but I figure before I focus on the security aspect, I would need a good understanding of networking! I agree with not getting ms certified, but should I learn the concepts and the workings of servers before I continue on with networking?

Also, would it be a waste of time for me to go for a CCENT or is that different from Network+?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't see MS certs helping you out a great deal if that's the path you want to take. I'd set my sights on the CCNA and CCNA:S if I were you. See where you land with those and then decide if you want to learn some systems stuff or if you want to get into more advanced networking.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Network+ is the very basic first step toward CCENT and CCNA. I was in your spot not to long ago and I decided to start studying for my CCENT since I already started it with N+.

My plans are not to mess around with MS stuff until I get a job position that requires me to. If I see that I need more knowledge on MS then I'll start on it.

Since I'm a student, I'm just worried about getting a internship and how to schedule a summer class, CCNA study and the such. I'm not too worried about looking like a noob at the job site since, well, I would already be a intern.

If you're going security then you may want to look at becoming a jack-of-all trades to make sure you know what your securing.