Options

Confused Again! (Windows Firewall)

DnA1409DnA1409 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
OK, so i'm trying to learn the ins and outs of Windows Firewall....

What i dont understand is that when configuring a service for a particular connection this book tells me that if the computer you are configuring Windows Firewall on is the ICS host then you can input the IP address of the client computer. Wheras the dialog box tells me to input the IP address of the computer hosting this service, which would be the host computer for the ICS connection, am i right? I've attached a picture to help explain further;

icsquestion.jpg

I also dont understand what is meant by external ind internal ports :S

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    IkkaIkka Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Imagine you install a computer game and want to play it online. The game will listen to an internal port for data coming into the client and the external is for maybe logging in.

So the external port might be a web site so port 80 needs to be open.

It might be worth looking up port forwarding to get a better understanding.

This is a very quick post as i see your still online, hope it helped in some way
  • Options
    DnA1409DnA1409 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ikka wrote: »
    Imagine you install a computer game and want to play it online. The game will listen to an internal port for data coming into the client and the external is for maybe logging in.

So the external port might be a web site so port 80 needs to be open.

It might be worth looking up port forwarding to get a better understanding.

This is a very quick post as i see your still online, hope it helped in some way

Thanks Ikka,

I see now how these ports work, i am going to take your advice and have a look around on the net on port forwarding to help me understand even further :)

But i still don't understand why the book is telling me one thing and the dialog box is telling me another on the ICS side of things? Maybe i've been revising for too long and need to come back to it after a break....