Here's my equipment..What do I need to upgrade for a CCNP lab?

poguepogue Member Posts: 213
I am currently finishing up my CCNA studies, and will be doing MCSE after that, but I'd like to get a head start on fully fleshing out my lab to prepare for future CCNP studies.

Keep in mind, I am unemployed, so upgrading my setup at a cost of more than $1,000.00 is just not going to happen.

I currently have:

2 x 2950G-EI Switches IOS Version 12.1(13)EA1

2 x 2900 XL Switches

2516 Router IOS Version 12.0(6)

2509 Router IOS Version 12.2(1d)

2513 Router IOS Version 12.0(6)

2522 Router IOS Version 12.2(1d) For frame relay

2620 Router Invalid image.. someone loaded it with a
vg200 image...wtf, over??

I basically need to know what is usable here.. And what is basically junk for the CCNP portion. If some of what I have is usable if I upgrade the IOS, then I just need to know what I need to be looking at as far as IOS upgrades.

So..Can I upgrade this to a solid CCNP lab for a pretty low cost? Keep in mind, I don't even KNOW what I don't know as far as the CCNP is concerned, but being out of work, I am on a very tight schedule to get things going

Thanks for any help...

Russ
Currently working on: CCNA:Security
Up next: CCNA:Voice

Comments

• jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    With that equipment I'd go for GN3 for BSCI, keep the 2950s for the BCMSN.

It's recommended that you should be rocking a decent IOS of 12.4 with IPv6, so if you want my opinion, put the routers except the 2522 on eBay.

There are plenty of threads about what equipment you need and what the alternatives are, just do a quick search or look at the CCNP faq.
  • volmeruvolmeru Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd have to agree with jovan88 on using GN3/Dynamips. However, if you must go the hardware route, I would invest in at least one 3640. They're big, but not that loud. And at approximately $150 apiece, they'd allow you to do just about everything: MPLS, IPv6, OSPFv3, VPNs, etc. You can also get one 2600XM (just ONE!), which would allow you to run SDM off of the router and play with CallManager Express, if you're interested in the CCNA: Voice and/or CCNA: Security, afterwards. With the rest of the money, you can then get a few 2600's and load them up with the latest IOS, and complete your lab.

You don't need any more than 5 routers for your CCNP lab, and you don't need any more than three switches. One of those switches should DEFINITELY be a 3550, if you can afford it. There are way too many functions in the BCMSN course that I found only my 3550 could do. Keep hunting on eBay, you'll find one for a song and dance, eventually.

One last thing, and I don't know how many people think of this specifically: If you can get an NM-8A/S or an NM-4A/S, you can create a frame-relay swtich with a modular router (3600/2600 series), and NEVER have to physically cable your lab ever again. I found this out the hard way when I tried to re-cable my rack to practice certain topologies, not realizing that all you have to do is simply create subinterfaces on paper, and just type in the appropriate commands into each router. The key is to have all of the DLCI's already set up on the frame-relay switch.

Oops, I almost forgot (I hope I'm not going overboard, here): I got pretty frustrated having to type command after command into each of my routers. Out of sheer boredom one night, I just cut and pasted a list of commands into one of my routers, just to see what would happen - and walla! The router automatically entered every command in there. I can't believe I spent all of that time diligently going through each router as I did! You can simply create your topology and code your lab in Notepad or TextEdit before you even turn on a router, and just 'copypasta' everything into each one.

My 2 yen
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    And if you go for a 3550, try to get an inline power (PoE) model. If you ever add phones or access points, you'll be glad you have one.
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are wireless equip necessary for BCMSN?
  • mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    I know someone above mentioned that 3640s would be a good choice. Just as an FYI, I got one TODAY off eBay (Cisco 3640 - eBay (item 270394953432 end time May-31-09 13:45:22 PDT)) for only $30. It has no faceplate, and the auction is for more, but he's doing "best offer"... It says he has over 10 more available... Just a thought!

Edit: As a sidenote, is there any reason I would ever need another 3640? I'm curious about toying around with something like a dual-hub DMVPN lab, etc...

Also, what NM's do people recommend? I have a bid for a NM-4A/S right now, so I will hook all of my 2650XM's up via serial... do I need anything else?
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    qp81 wrote: »
    are wireless equip necessary for BCMSN?

Wireless equipment is not necessary for the BCMSN but if you want to get an autonomous AP to play around with then go for it. You can get you a Cisco Client Adapter (Look on eBay) to learn configuring a wireless client or you can just pick up the Cisco 802.11 Wireless Networking Quick Reference and look at the pictures.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mzinz wrote: »
    I know someone above mentioned that 3640s would be a good choice. Just as an FYI, I got one TODAY off eBay (Cisco 3640 - eBay (item 270394953432 end time May-31-09 13:45:22 PDT)) for only $30. It has no faceplate, and the auction is for more, but he's doing "best offer"... It says he has over 10 more available... Just a thought!

That's about as barebones a 3640 as you can get. 32/8 with no modules and a missing faceplate. Might be an OK deal if you enjoy upgrading routers bit by bit.

:)

You'll want a minimum of 128/32 to run a decent 12.4 image, although in a lab environment 64/32 might be OK as you can probably get by with slow processing.
  • mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Netwurk wrote: »
    That's about as barebones a 3640 as you can get. 32/8 with no modules and a missing faceplate. Might be an OK deal if you enjoy upgrading routers bit by bit.

:)

You'll want a minimum of 128/32 to run a decent 12.4 image, although in a lab environment 64/32 might be OK as you can probably get by with slow processing.

Yeah, it is literally as barebones as you can get :) Then again, I got the router for $30, RAM for $25, and flash for like $20.... Still saving a lot!
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
    what kind of lab equipment would one need for ONT and ISCW?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    what kind of lab equipment would one need for ONT and ISCW?
    The suggested equipment for the ISCW lab is 3 routers and and ACS/T-FTP server and a workstation. Make sure the routers can do MPLS.

For ONT the suggested lab is 2 routers and a wireless controller and wireless access point. Then additional hardware is added to generate traffic, and maybe a couple more routers are added to make things interesting. And add a WCS server to go along with the ACS/T-FTP server from ONT.

Adjust according to your budget.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    any specific wireless controller model and ap? also what is WCS?

Here's my equipment list btw for anyone interested. I'm hoping these will cary over through CCIE R&S and SP

3x 2514 Router
    6x 3600 Routers
    2x 2611XM Routers
    2x 3550-24PWR Switch
    2x 2950G-24
    2x 2950-24
    1x Cisco 2511 Router (Access Server)
    1x Cisco 2522 Router (Frame Relay Switch)
    1x 6509
    2 SUP1A supervisor engines
    2 10/100 line cards
    1 WS-X6408-GBIC
    2 1300 watt power supplies
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    you personally have a 6509 hmmmmm
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
    yes sir...I never pass up a good deal...
    1x WS-X6408-GBIC and 10/100 line card are recent additions
    MSFC and PFC upgrades are on their way :D...only hard part about having sucha huge lab is power consumption....though i'm working on a solution :D
    yes sir...I never pass up a good deal...
    1x WS-X6408-GBIC and 10/100 line card are recent additions
    MSFC and PFC upgrades are on their way :D...only hard part about having sucha huge lab is power consumption....though i'm working on a solution :D

and HVAC
    does a ceiling count as hvac? :P i try to do labs as quick as possible ...hehehe so much added pressure when your wife is breathing down your neck ...you forgot the noise these things generate haha
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd sell the 6509 and get some 3560s instead. Those will be what you will be tested on in the lab and they take up a hell of a lot less power and space.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    how many are needed? i don't mind parting with it....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I believe the new 4.0 R&S lab calls for four 3560s. The 3550s are out on the new lab also.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I'm going ot look into it... i'm purchaisng a few ccie prepware from IE in the next few months so it'll give me time to save but i think i'll still surivve with the 3550's and just add 2 3560's
    I'm going ot look into it... i'm purchaisng a few ccie prepware from IE in the next few months so it'll give me time to save but i think i'll still surivve with the 3550's and just add 2 3560's

pretty aggressive on your study eh
    agressive? yes...but i don't plan on covering it in a year :) i'm just preparing...and I don't mind over preparing....