Options

A day in the life of a CCSP

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I'm just curious as to the day-to-day duties of a CCSP. I imagine some positions are more stressful than others (like voice), but it seems like generally speaking, a CCSP would be in charge of security and wouldn't be so time-sensitive.

If anyone is already working with his CCSP, could you let me know what it's like? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    a CCSP would be in charge of security and wouldn't be so time-sensitive.
    Maybe if you're a low level wonk somewhere loading initial configurations on new equipment in a back room somewhere..... or doing pre-sales work for a Cisco Business Partner....

Usually Security issues are dealt with NOW -- and don't plan on sleeping until any major issue is resolved (or escalated to someone more qualified).

Based on your previous posts I'll just say that you probably don't want a job that would require you to use the CCSP knowledge and skills beyond a basic level -- and leave it at that.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I currently work at a partner and security is more of a secondary job. We usually hire people with r/s or voice as a primary then with security as a secondary. Day to day duties are usually fixing acl's, fixing VPN's and staying on top of new technologies. I work at a service provider so there is always somebody somewhere calling cause they had there fingers in the gear and are now looking to get it fixed. Some days it can get hariy for them when a upgrade is done and now the phones won't work or some apps don't work and you have to figure out why.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    it seems like generally speaking, a CCSP would be in charge of security and wouldn't be so time-sensitive.

As Mike said, security is zero-day. If an exploit comes out that there isn't a patch for you have to take proactive steps to ensure your network is safe. Increasing access lists, moving servers to DMZs until they can be patched, these things come up on a daily basis for security engineers.

If your firewall is being hit hard you can't just say "I'll take care of that tomorrow." You have to immediately go into action mode and take care of business. Without security there is no network. Period.

You have to be proactive with regards to monitoring threats, have you be up to date on exploits released to the hour, and if you're a consultant like I am, you have to be able to answer any question a client has at any time. We don't advertise that we take calls 24/7 but I have good relationships with all of my clients so they know they can call me 24/7 to get help if they need it. Just two weeks ago I was asleep at 3:00am and I got a call from a client in California who was knee-deep in a firewall installation. Their maintenance window was about to close so he had to get an answer quickly. Security is a 25/7 job ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Security is a 25/7 job ;)

Amen to that!:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Paul Boz wrote: »
    Security is a 25/7 job ;)
    366 days of the year! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »

Plus holidays ;)
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□

8 days a week......
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So if I get my CCSP, how do I continue with my Cisco studies since I'll be working/on call 25/8/366? ;)
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    btowntech wrote: »
    how do I continue with my Cisco studies since I'll be working/on call 25/8/366? ;)
    You get to study while the bad guys are sleeping.

Maybe I should have simplified my original answer to this:
    don't plan on sleeping
  • Options
    You get to study while the bad guys are sleeping.

Bad guys don't sleep icon_sad.gif

or at least they're in time zones when I am icon_sad.gif

haha
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    btowntech wrote: »
    So if I get my CCSP, how do I continue with my Cisco studies since I'll be working/on call 25/8/366? ;)

One day you just wake up and realize you're a network god and can take the exam in your sleep (well if you actually got any sleep) ;)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?