Oops, accidentally passed...

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I forgot to reschedule this one and hadn't put any time into studying for it, so I was less than optimistic about a pass. I basically just went to fail, so I could use my second shot. The test is split up into three timed sections for each exam, and my understanding is that if you fail one section, you fail the entire exam. The first section was only nine questions. If the questions are all weighted equally, that only allows you to miss two and walk away with a pass. I thought I might have gotten four or five right, so I just burned through the rest of the exam. Needless to say, my results caught my completely off-guard:

70-640: 820
70-642: 887
70-643: 730

Uh, what!? icon_eek.gif

The questions were all over the board. One would ask you something like which corner is the start button in by default and another would be some really obscure command-line procedure. I can't believe I spent $200 on the Transcender exam and never even used it...

Oh well, on to 647 I guess...

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    lol awesome... congrats on the pass :)

Seems like an interesting test.
    Dustin Leefers
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    dynamik wrote:
    Oops, accidentally passed...

Bummer, man. I know you were looking forward to that fail, maybe next time buddy.

I guess I'll offer my Congrats though icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats dynamik icon_thumright.gif

Yes, that was my experience with the questions too and the exam was not as straight forward as I was expecting based on other peoples feedback.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Rofl! Congrats.

So you scheduled this test months ago just so that it would force you to do it no matter what? The time bomb technique I guess lol.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    You do know i hate you, right? icon_lol.gif

You just knocked out 3 exams that ill probably be studying for over a 3 month period in one hour long session.

How long have you been in the industry? If you dont mind me asking.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    awesome, congrats!!! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Congrats!

Don't you have C|EH and ICND2 coming up in the next few weeks also?

Keep it up!!
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My same reaction to 649.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Andretii wrote: »
    So you scheduled this test months ago just so that it would force you to do it no matter what? The time bomb technique I guess lol.

Actually, I usually put them around a tentative date and then reschedule as necessary. I thought I was scheduled for Tuesday, so Sunday night I went to reschedule and push it back a week or so. For some reason, that exam wasn't on my list of exams (yes, I have a list...) that I could reschedule. *Uh oh*

The sad thing is, is that I do this all the time. I've completely forgotten about a few, and once I didn't realize it for a couple of weeks (I'm actually kind of dumb).
    Jordus wrote: »
    You do know i hate you, right? icon_lol.gif

You make no bones about it icon_cry.gif
    You just knocked out 3 exams that ill probably be studying for over a 3 month period in one hour long session.

Ah, sorry if I wasn't clear, but this was 649, the upgrade from the MCSE, so I only took one exam. They just break it down by section. If it makes you feel any better, I "read" 2500 pages on Server 2008 since Friday. Luckily I had another reason to dive into it, so I had a lot out of the way by the time I realized I had to go sit this.
    How long have you been in the industry? If you dont mind me asking.

My resume will put me close to four years, but I've only been studying and doing real work for a little under 2.5.
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Don't you have C|EH and ICND2 coming up in the next few weeks also?

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to let the CEH fall by the wayside. I'm paying for my exams out-of-pocket at the moment, and I'm a bit hesitant to drop $250 on that since I haven't been able to put much time into it. I think I'd get close to a pass, but I'm not confident enough to take the risk (I would accept a sponsor though ;)icon_lol.gif). I'm sure I'll hit up v6 sometime in the future. For now though, I'm going to knock out 647 for my MCITP: EA, and then I'll be back to the ICND2. I'm not sure what's next after that. I'm thinking about ISA, SQL, and/or more Cisco studies.
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    By 3 exams i meant that you get the three MCTS creds for passing that one exam.

I have to take 3, haha.

Four years? You must be one of those naturals. I sortve consider myself a natural, but i dont make myself sit down and focus as much as i should, so some topics elude me.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    YOU GET BACK IN THERE AND FAIL THAT EXAM LIKE A MAN!

(congrats!)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass, you S.O.B.! icon_lol.gif

I guess I'll have to get in gear and knock out some of these exams I've been passively studying to put you in your place. After all, it'll be another 6 - 8 years before I've got that PhD to lord over you. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though, congratulations. You've definitely got the magic touch, (or maybe Lady Luck's lipstick-prints on your boxers, either way,) I fully expect you to have the whole alphabet after your name before I'm off to academia-land full-time. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You sure know how to make for an entertaining exam... although I'm not sure you'll be able to top your "perfect" 700.

Congrats :)
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Congrats Dynamik! Man, I'd sure like to accidentally pass the 70-293! lol :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Congrats! Have this one in a few weeks also.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    only you could pull that kind of thing off...congrats man!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    awesome work mate... wish I could pull off something like that!!!
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats!

Hehe...Reminds me of my 70-216 experience! I went in on my first attempt with my second shot ready to use when I failed.... actually I did fairly well. Passed on the first attempt... Wasted a perfectly good second shot!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    See? I always told you all that studying was just getting in the way. Congrats! Great scores there.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    I forgot to reschedule this one and hadn't put any time into studying for it, so I was less than optimistic about a pass. I basically just went to fail, so I could use my second shot. The test is split up into three timed sections for each exam, and my understanding is that if you fail one section, you fail the entire exam. The first section was only nine questions. If the questions are all weighted equally, that only allows you to miss two and walk away with a pass. I thought I might have gotten four or five right, so I just burned through the rest of the exam. Needless to say, my results caught my completely off-guard:

70-640: 820
    70-642: 887
    70-643: 730

Uh, what!? icon_eek.gif

The questions were all over the board. One would ask you something like which corner is the start button in by default and another would be some really obscure command-line procedure. I can't believe I spent $200 on the Transcender exam and never even used it...

Oh well, on to 647 I guess...
    So, basically, what you're saying is you accidentally the whole thing?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, hopefully I can accidentally 647 as well next week. Then it's break time! icon_cool.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats man. I've accidentally passed before too but in a different way. It's thrilling, makes for great television.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...