Test Preparation

HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
How often does Microsoft change the style of their examinations? I have heard that Microsoft used to contain extremely long test questions, but recently have become a little less lengthy. Is this information accurate?

I have numerous resources to study prior to taking the 290 exam on the 29th. I just want to ensure my studying time is being utilized to the fullest.

Is there a cut-off point that certain things are becoming obsolete? For example, any study material from 2007 is out-dated. Etc.

I am rereading this and it seems a bit confusing. I hope that what I am trying to say is coming out. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some years ago (back in the last century) I took the MCSE exams for NT4 and there were a lot of these 'scenario' questions. They were difficult because you had to read through so much gumpf, much of it irrelevent, and extract the 'meat' of the question.
    Now that I'm going through the Win 2003 MCSE exams, I don't see these questions any more, but I see several of those questions now where you're just presented with a blank desktop and you have to figure out how to solve a problem with no indication where to start. I think these questions are more useful and 'real world' though.
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I would try to watch CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal videos Hallucinate to get a "feel" for what will be covered on the tests and if you take notes while watching you will find areas that you think you are weak on and then you can address those specific areas. Then you need to do some reading from a good source to brush up on those areas you identified as a weakness from the videos. After this and you feel you have a good grasp on the concepts it is time to lab anything you don't fully understand and get something like Transcenders or ExamForce for question preparation.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roger. Thanks guys. Anyone have any experience with LearnKey?
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roger. Thanks guys. Anyone have any experience with LearnKey?

Use CBT Nuggets and MS PRess books.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    I guess now that I have seen about 100 people say CBT Nuggets and MS Press books, I will go ahead and just use those. Lol. I can't wait to take this exam so I can start studying something else. I wake up in the morning thinking about group polciy and WSUS. Isn't that sad?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I wake up in the morning thinking about group polciy and WSUS. Isn't that sad?
    OMG, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one! icon_lol.gif
    ...and um, yes, it is sad. icon_cry.gif

Oh, by the way, TestOut was pretty good for 290 too. It left out some details (as do most CBTs I've found) and the instructors aren't nearly as animated/fun as James Conrad of CBT Nuggets, but the simulations/labs were very good preparation for some of the more complicated questions & simulations on the exam.

And I can report from my test experience today that the test questions were decidedly shorter than the tortuously long review questions I got in TestOut quizzes or at the back of the MS Press book. I think they got enough feedback/comments along the lines of "are you KIDDING ME?!" and finally shortened things up a bit.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    Which quizes/tests did you find more beneficial? Assuming you used all three, the exams from testout, the questions in the MS press book, or the measureup test bank that comes with the MS press book?

I got a day and a half left to study. I also need to find some time to do another quick brush up on Sec+
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I didn't use the MeasureUp questions that came with the MS Press book, so for me it would be a "contest" between TestOut & MS Press. And I'd say that TestOut probably wins that contest - their questions were a good model for the complexity of some of the questions I saw.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion