Clipboard in TS on Windows Server 2008

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Could you help me find answer for following question please?

I need to allow people using Terminal Server to copy Word text and pictures to Paint from local machine to remote. However I would like to restrict possibility of copy other files, especially executives. Is it possible to use some advanced settings in clipboard, not only allow or disallow?

Kind Regards

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not aware of anything you an do with the clipboard. There's an add-on product to Windows called Rights Management Services that is supposed to do what you're asking. I've never deployed it though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Many thanks for your reply.

I can't deploy RMS as it is too expensieve and probably doesn't meet my goal. I'm looking for something like disallow coping all .exe files. Any idea if there is solution in GPO for this?
    Are you using 2003 R2 or 2008? You can use the File Server Resource Manager to block executable content from being saved to a folder.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Hi,

Ok, it sounds reasonableicon_smile.gif Do you know if it is possible to do this on Clipboard folder itself?

Once again many thanks for your help.
    Not sure.
    IT guy since 12/00

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    PiotrIr wrote: »
    Ok, it sounds reasonableicon_smile.gif Do you know if it is possible to do this on Clipboard folder itself?
    Not sure I understand, there is no such folder per say.
    Many thanks for your replyes.

I there is no folder for clippoard which I can manage I won't achieve goal which is limiting file transfer from outside to TS server in lipboard.

Maybe any other idea?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    PiotrIr wrote: »
    Maybe any other idea?
    Citrix XenApp with Access Gateway & Advanced Access Control... but that's a little more than you were looking to spend I'd imagine ;)
    Yes, a little too much icon_smile.gif

I'm using TS Gateway from Windows Server 2008, Terminal Server Windows Server 2008, and Apps mode from Windows Server 2008 and as far as I know they are Citrix technologies.
    I've almost no experience with Citrix but I imagined they are very similar...
    Maybe hidden registry settings?
    I'm not using Term Svcs 2008, but there has to be a GP to turn off Clipboard redirection entirely. That combined with turning off local drive redirection would lock it down, but might be too locked down for you. I would think you could do it on the TCP-RDP listener on the server, or in a GP.
    IT guy since 12/00

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, there is an option to turn off clipboard. My problem is that I need to allow using clipoboard but I want to get it limited.