Options

Unsupported Guest OSes in VMWare

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
Is anyone running a guest OS in VMWare other than Windows, Linux, UNIX, NetWare, OS/2 Warp, or MS-DOS? These seem to be the only families of guest OSes supported by VMWare. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten any other OSes running in VMWare, be they network-aware or not.

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are wanting to run?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah seriously, what's left after the different O/S's supported in ESX 4.0?

Asianux 3
    CentOS 4
    CentOS 5
    CentOS 5 64-Bit
    Debian 4
    Debian 5
    FreeBSD 6
    FreeBSD 7
    MS-DOS 6.22
    Novell NetWare 5.1
    Novell NetWare 6
    Open Enterprise Server 2
    OS/2 4
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 64-Bit
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 64-Bit
    SCO OpenServer 5
    SCO Unixware 7
    Sun Solaris 10 x86
    Sun Solaris 10 x86 64-Bit
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 64-Bit
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 64-bit
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 64-Bit
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 64-Bit
    Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64-Bit
    Ubuntu Linux 7
    Ubuntu Linux 7.1 64-Bit
    Windows 2000
    Windows 3.1
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows NT 4.0
    Windows Server 2003
    Windows Server 2003 64-Bit
    Windows Server 2008
    Windows Server 2008 64-Bit
    Windows Vista
    Windows Vista 64-Bit
    Windows XP
    Windows XP 64-Bit

Remember they have to be O/S that were built to run on x86 architecture so no VMS, etc.
  • Options
    Well, there are actually quite a few OSes that run on the x86 architecture that aren't Windows, Linux, UNIX, OS/2, NetWare, or MS-DOS (Pick and BeOS being two of them). And I'm wondering if anybody is running any of those on VMWare.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Well, there are actually quite a few OSes that run on the x86 architecture that aren't Windows, Linux, UNIX, OS/2, NetWare, or MS-DOS (Pick and BeOS being two of them). And I'm wondering if anybody is running any of those on VMWare.
    Which Pick system actually ran bare metal on x86? The only Pick system I've got any experience of using/programming for is the jBASE variant and we ran that on AIX. It was also supported on Windows and Linux.

BeOS works fine on ESX.

I'd assume any OS that has a compatible LSI Logic or Buslogic SCSI driver to work under ESX 3.5. If you need IDE then you're going to have to go back to Workstation/Server or use 4.0.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Can't believe I forgot about good old BeOS; and like tiersten said it works fine.

As for Pick... what on Earth are you trying to run a 1983 Point of Sale system? icon_lol.gif

More seriously it appears you can run it under Windows or Linux - but I would also assume ESX 4.0 with its support for IDE drives should work. Don't expect network connectivity though... I don't think ESX supports old DEC NICs with AUI connectors and vampire taps. :p
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    astorrs wrote: »
    As for Pick... what on Earth are you trying to run a 1983 Point of Sale system? icon_lol.gif
    POS? Pfft. When I used Pick (well jBASE) it was because a banking system was written in its BASIC language and used the multivalue system as its backend. You should be able to work out what banking system I'm talking about based on the fact it uses jBASE now.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    That was a 1993 POS that was still being sold as of last year.

And the only port of Pick that I've ever used installed directly on to x86 PCs from 5.25" floppy disks. I sure do wish I still had a copy of it. I never did get to play with the database part of it very much.