Options

Question about Windows 7 Certifications

LefanduchLefanduch Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Sorry but i have a question again, i'm new in the Certification world.

I'm planning to get my MCITP Consumer Support for Vista (Cause i have already the book). Then i would like to get MCITP Enterprise Support for Vista.

Now my question is about Windows 7. Here the list of the Windows 7 certifications (bottom of the page) :

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-680.aspx

Note that we can see:
MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

If i get MCITP Enterprise support for Vista, will i be able to upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 with only 1 exam? And what the difference between the normal exam and upgrade exams? Less questions?

Well thanks alot for your time!

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Upgrade plans are not finalized yet. Given the fact it will be only 2 exams for both Win 7 EST and DA, not sure if they will bother with an upgrade given the relatively small number of exams required... wait and see I guess.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Its entirely likely that the Windows 7 client exam (70-680) will be the core requirement of all of the desktop MCITP stuff.

So, if Desktop Admin and Ent Support are both 2 tests with 1 being the 680...then there couldnt possible be an upgrade, you would just take the respective PRO level cert for that test and be done with it.

I think it would be better if MS made the MCTS 7 1 test, the MCITP EST 1 test on top of the first, and the MCITP DA test another on top of that (3 in total)

That way, existing ESTs could do an upgrade exam for the new EST and leave it there, or an upgrade exam for the new EST and DA and get all those certs with one, maybe two tests.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Jordus wrote: »
    Its entirely likely that the Windows 7 client exam (70-680) will be the core requirement of all of the desktop MCITP stuff.

So, if Desktop Admin and Ent Support are both 2 tests with 1 being the 680...then there couldnt possible be an upgrade, you would just take the respective PRO level cert for that test and be done with it.

I think it would be better if MS made the MCTS 7 1 test, the MCITP EST 1 test on top of the first, and the MCITP DA test another on top of that (3 in total)

That way, existing ESTs could do an upgrade exam for the new EST and leave it there, or an upgrade exam for the new EST and DA and get all those certs with one, maybe two tests.
    I believe that it is currently the plan to have separate "role" exams for the MCITP EST & MCITP DA for Windows 7, each having at least the 680 exam as a prerequisite. They haven't finalized things yet, but there was an announcement a couple months back about the exams in development...guess we'll just have to wait a few weeks/months before they release the finalized info about how they'll handle the new "DA" certification path.

I wouldn't be surprised if they offered an upgrade exam to go from MCITP EST for Vista to Windows 7. I mean, if they've got the 621 exam out there to upgrade from MCDST on XP to MCITP EST Vista, why wouldn't they offer a similar upgrade path for Windows 7? Would make more sense to me, especially since the similarities between Vista & 7 are fairly minimal.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    skrpune wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they offered an upgrade exam to go from MCITP EST for Vista to Windows 7. I mean, if they've got the 621 exam out there to upgrade from MCDST on XP to MCITP EST Vista, why wouldn't they offer a similar upgrade path for Windows 7? Would make more sense to me, especially since the similarities between Vista & 7 are fairly minimal.

Im sure there will be an EST to EST upgrade....however what i would like to see is an upgrade path for Vista EST to 7 Desktop Admin.

I think having established those prior EST skill should count for something towards the DA cert.