tdean wrote: »
thanks for the replies guys. damn, im frustrated. seems like a catch 22. need the experience to get the title, but cant afford the pay cut to start back at the bottom for 3 years. im really looking for somehting to augment my current IT skills and make myself more marketable, make a little more $$, but more importantly, open new doors for me. im kind of sick of the "net admin at someone's business" career path. it could be bad experiences from my last 2 jobs... i just dont know how to get anything at a decent company. i hear people talking about how great their jobs are... they make all this cash, great benefits, interesting company etc etc.... i just have no idea.
eMeS wrote: »
My advice to you would be to design, implement, and manage an audit program as a "net admin at someone's business". Whether the business you're working for is requesting it or not, you can develop quite a bit of useful experience that will eventually accumulate to meet the requirements of the CISA. You might also be seen as someone taking the bull by the horns, which will look good on your resume and might get you into one of these great jobs of which you speak.
It is my experience that almost all businesses are subject to some type of audit. There is plenty of opportunity here IMO....
JDMurray wrote: »
I should point out here that people are not handed $100K+ jobs simply for passing the CISA, CISM, or CISSP certification exam. It's their prior work experience that gets them 90% of that salary and the cert(s) help with getting the other 10%.