Options

Internet Expert CCIE 2.0 vs. IPexpert Blended?

redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
I'm finishing up my CCNP and thinking ahead to the future, trying to decide how much further to pursue professional level certs before taking the plunge for a CCIE run. For my family, part of this consideration also has to be the budget that it will take to make a solid attempt. To begin with, I know that attending an in-person bootcamp for me is just not feasible, both due to travel cost and time off work, so that is out as an option. Self-study seems to be my primary style of learning so far and I'm comparing the 2 biggest vendors as far as I can tell in this arena and was wondering what general opinions out there were for them. Here are my competitors in this throw-down.

Internetwork Expert's CCIE 2.0 Program - cost $3,495 for instructor led, $2,495 for self-paced.

Pros - There seems to be a lot to like about this program, including a more academic feel to it with online on-demand bootcamps and lectures. I'm thinking this program could really help with discipline while studying. It also comes with a 10% discount on rack rental.

Cons - Cost...it is the pricier of the two, but might be worth the extra cost.

IPexpert's Blended Learning Solution - cost $999

Pros - This one uses pretests to help determine where to concentrate your study efforts and comes nicely all bundled electronically on an external hard drive. Includes also DVD's and CD's to listen to as well as detailed grading reports...seems like the geekier option.

Cons - There might be less structure and students reviewing the program who also had the in-person bootcamps said the bootcamps were vital to their preparation. Most using this mentioned adding other study sources, something I plan on doing, but would like to not *have* to do.

Has anyone used either of these programs or known someone who did? I find myself leaning towards the Internetwork Expert offering if for no other reason than the structure given, but the significantly lower cost of IPexpert's program is also very tempting, since the money saved could be put towards more rack time and additional resources.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog

Comments

• Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This question generally ignites a war between IPExpert and InternetworkExpert zombies.

Honestly, I am an InternetworkExpert zombie. I understand that there are others that feel as strongly about IPExpert as I do about InternetworkExpert. That being said...

I passed my CCIE on the first attempt using InternetworkExpert's materials. I did also attend NME's one week class and was lucky enough to get one-on-one time with Bruce Caslow and Vic. Still, I credit my success largely to "the Brians" at INE.

Comparatively, I was able to listen to some materials from IPExpert and look at some of their practice labs. My opinion (this is in 2006, BTW, that I was comparing) is that InternetworkExpert is far superior. I am soon going to need their services again for the Service Provider track... I will not hesitate to purchase all associated materials from them.

IMHO, it seems to me the general opinion is that IPExpert has a far superior Voice CCIE program. But the R&S and Service Provider go to InternetworkExpert.

Again, opinions vary... everyone has one... etc...

Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Thanks for your opinion, Derrick! Do you think you could have passed with the Internetwork Expert materials alone or is attending a bootcamp really that important?

I'm also noodling with the idea of attempting the CCIE Wireless track after going for the new professional cert in that track as an alternative. Wireless is a big part of my current position and I'm wondering if it might turn out to be more marketable than a straight R&S CCIE. Decisions, decisions...

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Skip the bootcamp unless what you need is a kick in the ass. I felt the bootcamps I attended were ok not great and that studying on my own is what is required.
  • Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed on the bootcamp piece. I don't think you need to attend the bootcamp physically. The virtual class room thing was nice. Personally, I did 10 of the practice labs and took copious notes BEFORE going to the virtual class.. I feel this helped me tremendously as I was prepared with lots of questions.

Wireless is a hot certification right now. Go for it! I have always felt the R&S is really a "starter" CCIE, and that really the money is in having another more specialized CCIE...
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    don't forget the investment protection program...this is probably what will push me towards IE. This is an investment, largely in time and some money. You can always make more money but not time. End of this year I will start CCIE training once BSCI and BCMSN is completed. I'll grab ONT and ISCW along the way just to complete the NP track.
  • Options
    fingerfehlerfingerfehler Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wanted to bring this old thread back to life to ask if anyone has a new opinion on the Internetworking Experts vs. IPExperts for R&S, especially after the release of v4.0. It seems like the rack-time for IE is about half or even a third as expensive as the rack-time for INE, but INE seems to offer more training material in their package.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    If you want to pass the R&S Lab in the least possible time go with INE. If you want the customer support department to respond in a timely fashion go with Ipexpert. If you want to truly understand the technologies and also love things like impossible crossword puzzles head over the Netmasterclass.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with apd123. I have used all three vendors. IWEB seems to be the one most candidates used in the CCIE feeding frenzy. They are to the point and have quite involved solutions. Ipexpert was less spoon feeding. I liked those labs. Netmaster was brainteasing which was fun.