Options

CCNA or wait

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently enrolled for my A.A.S/concentration in networking. My networking classes do not start until another year which I will be able to take CCNA cert afterwards. Currently pursing MCSE (on track to finish up in August). My question is, after MCSE I was thinking about going straight after CCNA, but was thinking to wait until I take the classes, and for right now after MCSE just go after 2008 or exchange or whatever else to keep my busy. Or should I just jump into CCNA. I was thinking if I take it now, by the time I take my networking classes, i will only have like one year left vaild, then I have to take it again to re-certify

What you think?
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Go for the CCNA!

Many people self-study for the CCNA, so you can do it. So far, it has been my favorite exam(s) to prepare for. :)
  • Options
    JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are into networking enough to go the self-study route, then go ahead. This could make the upcoming networking classes easy A's. Or you can look into saving time in school if they will give you class credit for your CCNA.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation... I have a CCNA: Wireless class starting in the fall semester... I decided that I would self study through the summer and attempt to already be certified before the class starts.

So, I say go for it!
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I would go for it. If you enjoy the Cisco material, then by the time the class comes around, you may be pursuing your CCNP, and be in a position to better take advantage of your school's Cisco lab. If you decide that the Cisco side of things isn't for you, then at the very least, you will have sharpened your TCP/IP skills.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get it now then start on the CCNP to re-certify later down the road.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/