VMWare education roadmap

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
Not sure of this fellow is a VMWare employee or not, but he posted some details on additional courses and education tracks that VMWare will be adding this year in support of the new version. I wonder if this will result in "specialization" certs from VMWare.

New VMware Education Roadmap for vSphere 4
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    His name is Rawlinson Rivera and he's a VCI/Trainer for VMware based in L.A.

I've also seen the same posted by other VCIs.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    allout.gif There they go, complicating things but covering it with saying that it's to leverage the knowledge of certain areas. I better hurry and get my VCP3 because I don't want to be caught in that big money pool that's coming up for future generations icon_rolleyes.gif. VCP exam next week icon_cool.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hopefully they'll drop the prices of the courses a bit. Somehow, I doubt it though.
  • spaatspaat Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well it definitely looks as though they're headed in that direction of specialized certs. I guess we're being spoon fed at this point.
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Looks like i was right.

They are out for the money and dont seem to really care about people being generally excited/interested about managing their products.

Their certification is just another revenue source.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Jordus wrote: »
    Looks like i was right.

They are out for the money and dont seem to really care about people being generally excited/interested about managing their products.

Got bored of that other thread already?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nah, he's just playing devil's advocate, remember? He loves paying VMWare lots of money.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    After becoming enlightened and realizing that VMware is a for-profit company, I now only use VirtualBox icon_cool.gif
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Got bored of that other thread already?

Don't feed the tr oll. Ignore it and it will eventually go away.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Looks like i was right.

Dude, you got a bunch of Microsoft certs... icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Dude, you got a bunch of Microsoft certs... icon_lol.gif

Atleast they are fairly priced.

Not only that but they give away vouchers by the millions. I havnt paid full price for an exam since my first one.

VMware makes great stuff, but i'll never be certified on their stuff unless the price drops dramatically or an employer pays for it.

oh well.
    blargoe wrote: »
    Nah, he's just playing devil's advocate, remember? He loves paying VMWare lots of money.

Actually i said in the other thread that THIS topic was the only real beef i had with vmware. Thanks for not reading.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Atleast they are fairly priced.

Not only that but they give away vouchers by the millions. I havnt paid full price for an exam since my first one.

VMware makes great stuff, but i'll never be certified on their stuff unless the price drops dramatically or an employer pays for it.

oh well.

Dude, I'm just saying going apesh!t because of certifications being a revenue stream to them in the big scheme of things is a little silly. Just because Microsoft gives away some vouchers and what not doesn't make them a saint.

I agree requiring a class by VMware is not the best thing, but Microsoft has done in the past things like making MCSE NT4 exams so ridiculously easy, some people I wouldn't want working on my desktop computer were MCSE NT4 certified. That is the reason there's still a persistent stereotype that MCSE's are "paper". At the same time, they pushed out Novell because in part they flooded the market with said "qualified" certified individuals, some who knew their stuff, and a bunch who didn't.

Just saying, don't hold Microsoft up to be the pinnacle of certification ethics. Both companies offer and utilize certifications and training for their own self interests.
    Good luck to all!
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    dynamik wrote: »
    After becoming enlightened and realizing that VMware is a for-profit company, I now only use VirtualBox icon_cool.gif

What a bad excuseicon_rolleyes.gif... Nobody is talking about personal lab hypervisors, we are talking about things that get you food in the table and Virtualbox is not an option... as far as I know
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I guess you missed that other "interesting" thread. My response was completely sarcastic :D

And I believe you are fully aware that I am indeed a VCP and VMware advocate ;)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    To get an MCSE it's 7 exams @ $125 a pop, not exactly pocket change. Most people are also paying something for study materials or training as well, or have already "paid" for it by way of years or experience. Yes, the VCP path is more costly up front, but it isn't as big of a gap for the average person, as some would have you believe.
    IT guy since 12/00

• apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    required courses + plenty of hands-on training + high cost = only a few VCPs

I think it's in their best interests not to saturate the market with a bunch of VCPs at the moment. Either have everyone and their grandmother become a VCP, or keep it tight with the restrictions I mentioned above.

I do plan on becoming a VCP one of these days.......better start saving!
    Usus magister est optimus