Options

Best way to connecto two sites

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Trying to figure out whats the best way to connect 2 sites together (connect office computers to home network). Trying to see it it as a whole network, without having to click "connect." I know VPN, is that the best solution?

..edit: matter of fact. VPN might be the best solution.....?
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, you'd want to do a VPN unless you wanted to get a leased line to directly connect them. Depends on your needs and budget.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just drop a couple used Cisco PIX's in.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what you define as best. If best means cost effective then a couple cheap routers that support a VPN over the internet would be the best.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yea, you'd want to do a VPN unless you wanted to get a leased line to directly connect them. Depends on your needs and budget.

I know a bit of concept about VPN but I don't have the experience. Do you mean VPN will only work on leased line? I'm confused
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

I know a bit of concept about VPN but I don't have the experience. Do you mean VPN will only work on leased line? I'm confused
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991

No VPN works over any connection, a leased line would be a direct connection and no need for the vpn.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Just drop a couple used Cisco PIX's in.

I was thinking a 2008 VPN server? But Cisco sounds nice as well.
    Next up
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    murdatapes wrote: »
    I was thinking a 2008 VPN server? But Cisco sounds nice as well.

You probably don't want to get into using (R)RAS unless you absolutely have to. You'd be much better off getting yourself some business-class routers/firewalls and setting up a point-to-point VPN connection. Lots of companies make these types of devices, but Cisco is generally considered the top of the heap and you can find PIX 501 firewalls for cheap on eBay. The nice thing about using Cisco devices is that there are LOTS of books and plenty of documentation out there on how to set up VPNs, along with other connectivity solutions, so you're not going to be stuck with configuring mystery-devices.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    No VPN works over any connection, a leased line would be a direct connection and no need for the vpn.

got it thanks icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on your budget a Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator and Router will do the work.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    I did this yesterday with a SonicWALL TZ180 and a Netgear FVG318. No manually connecting and the client has an always on VPN to his work from home (and vice versa). Works like a champ!
  • Options
    Agent6376 wrote: »
    I did this yesterday with a SonicWALL TZ180 and a Netgear FVG318. No manually connecting and the client has an always on VPN to his work from home (and vice versa). Works like a champ!

Yup. Just did some digging on this a couple of days ago. I will actually be using two VPN FVGS318.
    Next up