Chicago TE Get-Together 6/20/09

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Um, basically what the title says. I'm going to be in town, and since there's such a massive amount of people here from that area, I thought it'd be a good time and place to hang out for a bit.

It's a Saturday, and I was tentatively planning on doing drinks and/or dinner, but I'd be open to any adventuresome suggestions. I should be available starting around 2pm, so anyone who wants to get a head start on the festivities is more than welcome drunken_smilie.gif

The venue(s) will have to be determined by the locals though. I don't really know the area at all. Please post any suggestions and if you're planning on attending.

See ya soon!
«13

Comments

  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    well I'm on the north end - Irving Park area - and I still haven't gotten out much to explore, so I really only know a couple neighborhood joints. But I'd be more than happy to share my local haunt. Just don't be following me home... icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe I already have icon_eek.gif

    Slowly backs away from skrpune's window...
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote: »
    Maybe I already have icon_eek.gif

    Slowly backs away from skrpune's window...
    Ummm, I live on the second floor, so that would be more impressive than scary! icon_lol.gif

    I'm totally going off topic here, but the thought dynamik hovering outside my window totally made me think of a scene from the Lost Boys (you know, the good vampire movie where the vampires don't sparkle?!). Or are you all too young to remember that movie...geez, I'm feeling kinda old right now...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you perchance referring to this one that came out when I was four?

    The Lost Boys (1987)
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote: »
    Are you perchance referring to this one that came out when I was four?

    The Lost Boys (1987)
    Yup, that's the one.
    And you officially suck now. icon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    Wow...I might even fly up just to meet my two favorite TE'ers..


    BTW, The Lost Boys was the 1st rated R movie that I legally enjoyed. I turned 17 that summer....

    MS
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I'd swing by, I don't know you guys super well but I live in the area =)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Wow...I might even fly up just to meet my two favorite TE'ers..

    That'd actually work out great if you could swing it.
    aordal wrote: »
    I'd swing by, I don't know you guys super well but I live in the area =)

    I think that's the case with most of us; everyone's welcome.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    dynamik wrote: »
    That'd actually work out great if you could swing it.

    I didn't say that you were one of my two favorite members....
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depending on what's planned, I might make the trip down since it's only 2.5 hours away from me if it were for hanging around, dinner, and some drinks.

    I'll check things over with the wife and see if there are any existing plans, if there are none I could use a break from the home life grind :)
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    I didn't say that you were one of my two favorite members....
    icon_rofl.gif

    Thanks Michael, that made me totally crack up.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    astorrs wrote: »
    icon_rofl.gif

    Thanks Michael, that made me totally crack up.

    For some reason reading this post made me think of the movie "So I Married An Axe Murderer", specifically the part where Mike Myers "father" is beating down his stepbrother about the size of his head...it made me think of the line, "He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight on his huge pillow."

    MS
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    eMeS wrote: »
    For some reason reading this post made me think of the movie "So I Married An Axe Murderer", specifically the part where Mike Myers "father" is beating down his stepbrother about the size of his head...it made me think of the line, "He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight on his huge pillow."

    MS
    LOVE that movie. "That boy's head's like SPUTNIK!" icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You guys are awesome; I almost spit my drink out.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote: »
    You guys are awesome; I almost spit my drink out.
    remind me to wear a rain slicker when we get together icon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    dynamik wrote: »
    You guys are awesome; I almost spit my drink out.


    Well that answers that question....
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Well that answers that question....

    And what question might that be? ;)

    Unfortunately, my "drink" was only water...
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think we need to go here - I live just a couple blocks away, and I gotta say, that sign caught my eye!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skrpune wrote: »
    I think we need to go here - I live just a couple blocks away, and I gotta say, that sign caught my eye!

    That sign rules, but Failblog sure sucks sometimes.

    Intentionally making a funny sign and getting loads of exposure != Fail. I sincerely doubt the pool hall was unaware of the references.

    It's like this one: Sneaky Restaurant Fail FAIL Blog: Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments Granted, they could have matched the font better, but that's some high-level ingenuity right there icon_lol.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's like this one: Sneaky Restaurant Fail FAIL Blog: Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments Granted, they could have matched the font better, but that's some high-level ingenuity right there icon_lol.gif
    That really is quite an ingenious way of hiding your bad score. Disturbing yet ingenious :)

    Alas, no reasons for me to actually be in Chicago so I'll have to pass on this one...
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Reschedule to near Christmas! I'd have a better chance then. Hope you guys have fun without me though I know how difficult that can be.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Are you perchance referring to this one that came out when I was four?

    The Lost Boys (1987)

    I was one! icon_lol.gif
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Sign me up!icon_razz.gif
    XBL: Andretii

    "I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

    Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was just IN Chicago last night, until I had to leave for Florida. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    I was just IN Chicago last night
    I was just IN Chicago today!!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    haha, I try to stay away from down town as much as possible =)
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The last time I was in Chicago I drove around in circles as I missed the entrance to get to the datacenter I colocated my web server at in the Chicago Board of Trade building.

    Chicago drivers > me
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I be flying back to the UK from DC on the 19th but if I had been staying on that weekend.... Chicago is only 700 miles. Damn one week courses !
    Kam.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    I be flying back to the UK from DC on the 19th but if I had been staying on that weekend.... Chicago is only 700 miles. Damn one week courses !

    Well I guess 700 miles could be considered comparatively close from where you'd typically be coming from icon_lol.gif

    I'm surprised you denoted the distance in miles though. I thought you were accustomed to that fancy system of measurement that is easily understandable and makes sense...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm surprised you denoted the distance in miles though. I thought you were accustomed to that fancy system of measurement that is easily understandable and makes sense...
    Nope. In the UK we still use miles when measuring long distance.
Sign In or Register to comment.