Cisco Lab for home

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
CISCO ICND CCENT CCNA CCNP LAB WITH 2503 2501 2924 LOW$ - eBay (item 300318004448 end time May-29-09 16:06:09 PDT)

Do you guys think this is good for study at home? Also any gotchas I need to worry about? I do have access to IOS from work.
Thanks
Earl
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    2500 routers are pretty old and so is the 2900XL switch. Search for one of the many other threads regarding which routers to buy. I *think* this deal is overpriced but as I'm in the UK, you'll have to wait for somebody in the US to verify.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Run from this deal!

:)

It's old equipment, and the guy doesn't even know what's in it

This line tells me he has some old junk laying around and is hoping someone accidentally buys it:

1 x Cisco 2501 with 16 or 8MB DRAM & 4 or 8 or 16MB Flash

In other words, he didn't even bother to plug the darn thing in to check out how much memory it has.

You need to do a lot more research, bud. Good luck.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a few 3500 XL Series Switches at work but I might go for a kit from ciscokits.com
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Ciscokits it a bit overpriced. They will send you some good IOS files but if you can get these through your work searching ebay is a much better choice. I'm not saying not to buy from ciscokits but you can do better.
    What is good recommendation then for a price of around 200.00. I am getting ready to take the CCENT 2 test and want to get this lab going. I was using dynamips but figure lab be better.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Also check Craigslist. I sold 2 1924's and 4 2500 series for $65.00. I've also seen some other great deals. I've almost bit on 2500's for $5 each. But, most of my stuff came from eBay and I updated the IOS through the contract from my old work (still good friends with the owner). I have one heck of a lab going right now for not even completing my CCNA. :D
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    What is good recommendation then for a price of around 200.00. I am getting ready to take the CCENT 2 test and want to get this lab going. I was using dynamips but figure lab be better.

Network World actually has an article covering a $200 CCNA lab

What CCNA Lab Would You Buy for $100? $200? | NetworkWorld.com Community
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    PC509 wrote: »
    I sold 2 1924's and 4 2500 series for $65.00
    A Catalyst 1900 is a boat anchor and useless for any current certification. It is so old that it doesn't even run CatOS. The 2500 routers are okay thought if you're on a budget.
    PC509 wrote: »
    I updated the IOS through the contract from my old work (still good friends with the owner).
    Obligatory warning that Cisco may get annoyed with your old boss for downloading anything which he doesn't have the correct licensing or support contract for. As for why they say they may get annoyed and yet don't restrict downloads to what you're entitled to is a mystery.
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Network World actually has an article covering a $200 CCNA lab

What CCNA Lab Would You Buy for $100? $200? | NetworkWorld.com Community

Thank you for this article. This is exactly what I was looking for on google but too many places trying to sell crap.