Options

Tripple DES this!

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
I just passed the JNCIA-FWV today, with a score of 93/100.

My first attempt was 68/100 and I was so week on transparent mode configurations simply because I didn't do enough reading or practice with this mode.

Still working at the S+ and then onto the JNCIS-FWV.

I got by with training course materials and x2 NS5GT's, I think im gonna need three Netscreen/ssg devices for IS because i have to practice OSPF and BGP on the security devices.

Anyway, pretty happy and gonna chill this evening.
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Hell yea! Way to go Pash! I'm gonna learn the FW stuff some day too :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratulations Pash!!!
    what a score ... well done :)
    i think nel should follow behind you ;)

and, aldur - please dont take our one and only belt, you have enough already, please? LOL :D

just kidding friends :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    grats PASH! Ill have a drink in your honor! :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pash wrote: »
    passed the JNCIA-FWV
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    Pash wrote: »
    I got by with training course materials and x2 NS5GT's, I think im gonna need three Netscreen/ssg devices for IS because i have to practice OSPF and BGP on the security devices.
    So is the start of the first Juniper home firewall lab thread?

EDIT: Oh, this thread is probably the first Juniper home firewall lab thread - http://www.techexams.net/forums/juniper-certifications/42255-learning-netscreen-firewalls.html

I guess my big question would be (if I didn't already have an SSG-5 Wireless within arms reach) -- to SSG? or not to SSG?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    and, aldur - please dont take our one and only belt, you have enough already, please? LOL :D

haha, but I what be like mike except with Juniper certs :D
    mikej412 wrote: »
    So is the start of the first Juniper home firewall lab thread?

hey, that would be pretty sweet. I'd be all over getting a FW lab going at home. Plus working for Juniper means I can get the FW's for my lab cheep! ;)

-Bender
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi pash,

no, i think you dont have to buy another NS device - but, of course another router(s) does needed.

assuming your current NS5 setup which only have some ethernet interfaces, the basic lab config can be done using this scenario :

sw1 --- ns1 --- routers/cloud --- ns2 --- sw2

behind those switches perhaps you can put routers so that you can emulate routing operation, and you can perform routing-in-a-stick as well using vlans, and put the DMZ interface back to the switches etc.

so, have fun!!! ;)
    haha, but I what be like mike except with Juniper certs

mike, looks like someone did pay attention to your "collect the entire set" signature :D LOL
    Plus working for Juniper means I can get the FW's for my lab cheep!

ouch, that hurts!!! ;) LOL
    give me that discounts :D LOL
    ah, you're just trying to make me jealous arent you? LOL
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    Cheers fellas!
    mikej412 wrote:
    I guess my big question would be (if I didn't already have an SSG-5 Wireless within arms reach) -- to SSG? or not to SSG?

Mike, It depends on your use for the SSG? The ssg5 is a good firewall box for small office/home use but im sure you have plenty of Cisco ASA's and PIX's sitting around so Im not sure if you could justify it...

Thanks rossonieri!

This is a good idea for my lab, I will have a good think about it and let you all know what i come up with.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    So whats next Pash? Going for the IS soon or are you going to take a break?

-Bender
  • Options
    Well it was a work requirement for me to get JNCIA-FWV to uphold our j-partnership requirements, the IS is completely at my leisure they have said. For now im working on S+ (my first attempt wasnt great) to get my MCSA and will probably look at taking a couple of 2008 EA exams this year as well. It's a lot of study but I think its worth it.

Ill keep you posted mate as long as you do the same for us! :)
  • Options
    good stuff, as long as you keep your FW skills sharp you should be able to pick up the JNCIS-FWV without any re-studying.

And I'll be keeping everybody posted on the results of my JNCIE-ER which has been pushed back... Oh well, a few more weeks to study.

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote: »
    good stuff, as long as you keep your FW skills sharp you should be able to pick up the JNCIS-FWV without any re-studying.

And I'll be keeping everybody posted on the results of my JNCIE-ER which has been pushed back... Oh well, a few more weeks to study.

Thanks for the encouragement dude. Good luck for the IE coming up mate and keep us posted on your progress etc!