equipment needed for home ccna lab

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
what equipment is needed for the current ccna exam.. i have heard 1900 switch and 2500 series routers. recently seen something saying that its a 2950 switch and no mention of the router.. does anyone have any info on what is needed to have correct setup for 801 cert
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The exams use the 2950, but since they are often too expensive to buy for personal use/study, many go with the 1900 (make sure it is the Enterprise Edition) cause it is much cheaper (about the same as a 2500 router, around $100)

There is a huge amount of information about home labs in our forums, please try a search in our forums. Here are some:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1023

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4727

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4696

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=23808

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/search.shtml icon_wink.gif (i.e. use keywords: ccna lab)

Don't hesitate to ask any new questions though...

Johan
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    when you say enterprise is that referencing the IOS ver or hardware ver?
    It's actually the IOS (you can upgrade a standard to an enterprise edition), but the model/type is different. Ie. 1924-EN (meaning a 1900 switch with 24 ports running enterprise edition. (a standard edition has several major limitations such as no VLAN capabilities)
    where can i download a version of this ios
    At www.cisco.com, for a price much higher than a used -EN series switch. icon_wink.gif
  • cellophanecorecellophanecore Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    whats the min amount of DRAM and Flash space needed to run the EN version?
    By default, the EN series have the same amount of flash (1MB) and DRAM (2MB) so I assume that is the minimum...
    I don't know if this is the case for all versions though.
  • dagr8timdagr8tim Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    The exams use the 2950, but since they are often too expensive to buy for personal use/study, many go with the 1900 (make sure it is the Enterprise Edition) cause it is much cheaper (about the same as a 2500 router, around $100)

Is that from like ebay or ordered from somewhere? I've been out of messing with my CCNA since last march when I failed the CCNA with an 809. I'm about ready to make a fresh start at it.
    There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
    i'm ordering parts from eaby and other resellers that i have dealt with that will offer me good prices( like it matters when it comes to cisco gear being that all of it is high) and i'm lucky b/c the place i'm contracting at has almost any ios ver i could want so i've ordered a 1900 and have the EN ios for it as well .. i was told as well a 2500 will run version 12 ios only if it has enough memory i think 16mb b/c the ios is almost 12mb by itself
    LAB update

i have added 2 2501 routers ver 12 ios, 1 1924-EN and todds book. does anyone think that i need to add anything else to my lab?
  • omarirfanomarirfan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have (2) Cisco 2620, (1) Cisco 3661, (1) Cisco 1720, and (1) Cisco 3524XL for sale at below market pricing. If interested please contact me at omarirfan@yahoo.com.

keenon wrote:
    what equipment is needed for the current ccna exam.. i have heard 1900 switch and 2500 series routers. recently seen something saying that its a 2950 switch and no mention of the router.. does anyone have any info on what is needed to have correct setup for 801 cert
  • swtlrichswtlrich Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Using IOS Hunter freeware from vital-tech.com, I was able to do a net hunt and download of many available Catalyst 1900 IOS images, including some EN versions.
    i have a friend that has access to any cisco ios so i'm good on that i'm trying to change my routers out 2501 and 2502 .. i would like to have 2 2600 instead
  • cybervexcybervex Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    using ios hunter which filename do i need to download for 12.2 ios for a 2501?
    The sky is not the limit; The ground is!