Options

70-653 Windows Small Business Server 2008

Taking this one late June. I'll start adding info here later.

I've set up a lab using SBS08 and a few clients. It's really neat and I'm liking how powerful, yet easy, it is to configure.

Just as a test, I got everything installed and set up, then removed a few server roles. It let me know through alerts and e-mails very quickly what the problem was and how to fix it. You can use a "Fix my network" button and it will either fix the problem for you or tell you exactly how to fix it. Very cool.

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Deploying Hardware and Software for SBS Servers. (10%)
    • Install SBS on servers.
    • Configure a second server.
    • Configure Internet connectivity.
    • Configure Microsoft Exchange.
    • Configure SBS fax settings.
    • Configure the network firewall.
    Migrating to SBS 2008. (16%)
    • Prepare for migration.
    • Perform migration.
    • Verify migration.
    Deploying Hardware and Software for Computers on the Network. (9%)
    • Prepare the computer.
    • Join computers to the domain.
    • Migrate local data.
    Maintaining Systems and Services Availability. (16%)
    • Modify software update settings.
      • Customize Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) and patches.
    • Modify server storage.
    • Configure backup and recovery.
      • Volume shadow copy
      • Server recovery
      • Database recovery
      • Active Directory object recovery
    • Maintain SBS client access license (CAL) compliance.
    • Modify reports settings.
      • Configure monitoring and reports
    Maintaining Remote Access. (10%)
    • Modify Remote Web Workplace (RWW).
    • Modify RAS.
      • User permissions
    Maintaining Users and Computers. (11%)
    • Modify users.
      • Create, edit, and delete users
    • Modify groups.
      • Create, edit, and delete groups
    • Modify user roles.
      • Create, edit, and delete roles
    Maintaining Collaboration. (11%)
    • Create new Microsoft SharePoint sites.
    • Modify site access.
      • Permissions
    • Modify shared folders.
    • Modify Web folder settings.
    Maintaining Messaging. (17%)
    • Modify user messaging settings.
      • Modify mailbox permissions
      • Add e-mail aliases to user accounts
      • Modify user distribution groups
    • Configure e-mail connectors.
      • Configure SMTP connectors
      • Configure POP3 connector
    • Configure mobile device settings.
    • Configure Microsoft Outlook settings.
      • RPC over HTTP (Outlook Anywhere)
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd consider taking this test to see if I can pass it. Just for shits and giggles.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    I have to say I'm liking Small Business Server 08 so much that I'm keeping it as my business server.

I'm starting to work on the individual sections of the exam and will begin to document my steps for completing each task.
  • Options
    SBS08 Technical FAQ, which actually has really helpful info on different sections such as migration:

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Technical FAQ
  • Options
    SBS08 Click-through Demo, which takes you through some steps that are included in exam topics:

Download details: SBS 2008 RC0 CTI Demo
  • Options
    SBS08 Technet Edge has some videos that cover various exam topics:

SBS 2008 | Search | TechNet Edge
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's anything like SBS2003, don't ever try to change your domain name.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    techster79 wrote: »
    If it's anything like SBS2003, don't ever try to change your domain name.

Yeah, you can't change the domain name. They tell you that over and over to make sure you don't try. icon_lol.gif

On another note, I haven't been able to find a practice test! I guess since this is a free voucher, this will be my practice test. Taking it Monday, so we'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    Finished with a pass!

The percentages given by MS for the areas to focus on are really well-done for this one. Sometimes they're off and exams focus on some areas more than the percents would lead you to believe, but this one is dead on for the percentages, I felt.

With a lab setup and the technet documentation for SBS 08, go through every topic and read it, then follow through with it in your lab. I didn't pass by a whole lot, but if you do that, you'll have a good chance of passing.

At this time, the only book out in MS Press is the Admin's companion. This book is really nothing more than the technet docs, so don't waste your time, just use the technet docs to read up on the topics listed.

The MS Press book written for this exam is supposed to come out sometime this year. I'd imagine that will help if you're looking to sit this exam.

Good luck!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif

How did you find the exam overall?
  • Options
    Sorry, Astorrs, just noticed your question.

I don't think it was incredibly difficult overall, but in order to pass you really just need to study the technet info and go through all of the topics in a lab until you're comfortable with them.

I've only taken this exam and 70-642 from MS. I think 70-642 was very easy and a lot of the questions could be answered if you knew fundamentals of networking and/or read the MS Press book. The SBS08 exam, I felt, was made so that you had to have put some time in with a lab or live environment to pass. I know I definitely wouldn't have passed without my lab time. A lot of it is knowing whether you need to use a wizard on the SBS console, a wizard in the specific program, or a command at the cli.
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    I'm going to bump this because I plan on taking this exam in the next few weeks and I would like to thank darkerosxx for his work.
    Anybody else take this exam?
    I just finished installing sbs2008 in my home lab. I set up a domain on gmail so I am running my mail through exchange/gmail.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Without violating any agreements, how in depth did they go into migrations? The reason I ask is that I have done two SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migrations, and was surprised at how much ground work you have to do to help the migration along. I could see where this could really catch someone who studied it but never did one.

Congrats on the pass!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    Without violating any agreements, how in depth did they go into migrations? The reason I ask is that I have done two SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migrations, and was surprised at how much ground work you have to do to help the migration along. I could see where this could really catch someone who studied it but never did one.

!
    From looking at the objectives migrating is 16% of the exam. You are probably familiar enough from having done it that you could probably just look over a few technet articles and pass that section. Having done migrations you are probably much better prepared for this section of the test than people who have not done migrations.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    What size business is this product aimed at? I know it's small business but what is the range for the number of users?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Max of 75 users.

Just remember that if the client is already around 50+ and may expand in the future its probably best to go ahead and have them invest in standard server 2008 stuff (or possibly Windows Essentials Server 200icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    baconfacebaconface Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grynder wrote: »
    I'm going to bump this because I plan on taking this exam in the next few weeks and I would like to thank darkerosxx for his work.
    Anybody else take this exam?
    I just finished installing sbs2008 in my home lab. I set up a domain on gmail so I am running my mail through exchange/gmail.

I took it last year. Easy stuff, but then again, I use it on a daily basis for my work :)

I would recommend buying Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed: Amazon.co.uk: Eriq Oliver Neale, et al: Books

and also know the SBS console inside out and you're good to go :)
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    I also have been using it for about a year now. I have the Unleashed and MS Training Kit books. I feel pretty confidant judging by the questions in the MS book, but you never know.

I have not done a migration, so I'll study that as much as possible. Maybe even set up a SBS2003 VM and run a migration.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    What size business is this product aimed at? I know it's small business but what is the range for the number of users?

Actually, if I am not mistaken, it is 75 objects, not users. Printers, scanners, etc are included in the 75.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    Actually, if I am not mistaken, it is 75 objects, not users. Printers, scanners, etc are included in the 75.

Only if they are listed in AD, i believe.

It would be an interesting question for an MS licensing expert. As the sbs 2008 FAQ says "up to 75 desktops". Which could mean several different things.
  • Options
    Next Version of SBS Next Version of SBS
    Will there be a beta exam?