Options

Spyware Removal!!

mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
Spyware should be illegal because it waste my time and screws every computer up. I updated my girlfriends computer and it actually took me a few hours to clean the whole machine out. I used Spybot and Lavasoft ad-aware to remove these spy programs. Both of these programs work wonderful but i still had to remove a few files from the registrey by hand. They not only take up space but run behind the scenes on your computer, therefore slowing it down. I just can't get over how bad this problem is getting. Well use those programs above highlighted if your computer is infected. You can download these programs from www.download.com and there the first two under most popular downloads to the right of the page. good luck!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I just can't get over how bad this problem is getting. Well use those programs above highlighted if your computer is infected.
    Yeah, it's become so bad, if you don't have run these programs frequently, and you're on the Internet, your computer is infected icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    to remove the unwanted items in the registry if using XP or 2000 try WINner tweak besides the registry tools it has some other features along with start up manager and app tweaks with various other systems tweaks.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I hate spyware also. I use Spybot & Hijack this along with the Process Manager, registry and safemode.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Spyware is a total pain in the butt, however it does help provide me with a decent income. I do several machines a week and have it down pat now.

Learn what you will find in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Run
    plus RunOnce and other variations.

I am so familiar with what is there on most machines now that I can manually edit the registry, empty Temp, Temp Internet, C:\Program Files\Common Files and other locations a whole lot faster than running Adaware and Spybot.

However the following should be in your arsenal of software ...
    Adaware
    SpyBotSD
    CWShredder

http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml is a good place to start for newbies.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I dont know what tool it was that I used, but my HOSTS file is now about a mile long with entries that block a ton of spyware sites. I keep it, along with Spybot, Ad-Aware and Hijack This! on my USB key. My machine stays pretty clean of spyware. The only stuff I seem to find are cookies when I do my weekly system check.

It's a nice way to make $50-75 for about 60-90 minutes of work. If I was cynical I wouldnt use the hosts file and just come back a month later when the crap returns... but I really have better things to do.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    to remove the unwanted items in the registry if using XP or 2000 try WINner tweak besides the registry tools it has some other features along with start up manager and app tweaks with various other systems tweaks.

Say where can I download WINner? and Hijackthis ???

what does the Hijackthis completely do besides preventing companies from putting their site as the default webpage in your browser?
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Spyware isn't that bad when your getting paid to remove it, but when it gets on mine i get a little uptight! icon_twisted.gif
    I guess spyware is beneficial in a way cause it does create jobs and work for techs.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    Say where can I download WINner? and Hijackthis ???

what does the Hijackthis completely do besides preventing companies from putting their site as the default webpage in your browser?

Google.

A hijacked browser can not only change your homepage. It can blast you with pop-ups, insert ads in the middle of a page, block attempts to download tools such as ad-aware (I have had that happen. tough stuff) and more.

HijackThis is nice but an advanced tool. If you dont know what you are doing you could cause more grief.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, looks like I better find and get a tutorial for Hijackthis
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mobri09 wrote:
    Spyware should be illegal because it waste my time and screws every computer up. I updated my girlfriends computer and it actually took me a few hours to clean the whole machine out. I used Spybot and Lavasoft ad-aware

I use those same programs plus a couple of cutsey ones called CW Shredder (killsWWWCoolsearch) and Autoruns, which lets you know all those hiddent things that pop up upon startup, but won't show up in your start menu.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    Thanks, looks like I better find and get a tutorial for Hijackthis

OOH! that's another one that I like too. I keep a utilities CD of all the little proggies I use on customer machines.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber