Options

Uk - 70-640

Jamesm3Jamesm3 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

Today I went to book my exam on-line. It appears 70-640 is no longer avaliable in English.

All my training gear is for 70-640 which has'nt been cheap to buy. I take it 083-640 is pretty much the same exam but with VM's simulators. I wonder what kind of things they test for in the sim?.

James
C|EHv9, Security+, MCITP:SA - MCITP:EA - MCTS - MCSE - MCSA - MCP - MCP+i - Network+ - A+

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    83-640 will eventually replace 70-640 as the exam engine, but the objectives will remain the same:

Born to Learn : First Virtual Lab-based MCP exam launches
    Here's the way this works...once enough testing centers in a region have demonstrated that they can deliver performance-based exams, only the performance-based version of the exam will be available to customers in that region. In other words, either all of the testing centers in a given region will deliver the performance-based version of the exam or none will; they will deliver the traditional version.

Judging by the sorry state of the test center exam PCs in my area (17" CRTs, cases missing sides and fronts, rollerball mice without scroll wheels), it will be a long time before we run the VM test version in the US. Multiple choice questions won't go away completely though - some concepts don't translate well to simulations.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    83-640 will eventually replace 70-640 as the exam engine, but the objectives will remain the same:

Judging by the sorry state of the test center exam PCs in my area (17" CRTs, cases missing sides and fronts, rollerball mice without scroll wheels), it will be a long time before we run the VM test version in the US. Multiple choice questions won't go away completely though - some concepts don't translate well to simulations.

Same here with test center PC's... although the last exam I took they finally had LCD's which was great since CRT's really mess with my eyes. They still had the coiled wired keyboard though that you can hear somebody typing on them 6 floors up.
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »

I'm in Dallas, TX, and I'm taking the 83-640 this month. I was going to take the 70-640 but they've already stopped offering it. I only hope that the test center PC's can handle it...
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I'm in Dallas, TX, and I'm taking the 83-640 this month. I was going to take the 70-640 but they've already stopped offering it. I only hope that the test center PC's can handle it...

Thanks for the replies.

I've booked the exam 83-640. My transcenders are for 70-640.

Hopefully, they will help with the exam, however I'm not sure if they are any good for the Labs.

Is it worth buying transcenders for 83-640? I see they do labs, however I don't know if they are just nornal labs or actual question based labs.

I have VM running quite a few trail versions on Windows 2008

James
    C|EHv9, Security+, MCITP:SA - MCITP:EA - MCTS - MCSE - MCSA - MCP - MCP+i - Network+ - A+
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Use the VM's and just think of possible questions and then do them in the VM's... Save your cash and if you can, use the second chance voucher if your exam is before the end of the month, so you can be safe.

The 70-640 questions however I am sure will be fine for the multi-choice part.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Is it essential that you use VM's to study for this, I cant install server 2008 using VM cos I have the E4500, instead I have installed it as my main OS
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Why can't you use Microsoft Virtual PC??? I had Windows 7 RC on a Q6600 with 4GB of RAM and that's my main pc and I also had at some times 4 VM's up and running. You can do it.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    My processor is the E4500 and it does not support 64bit virtualisation

I upgraded my RAM to 8 gig just for virtual PC installs but they wont work
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip

I have a Pentium D server (64bit cpu) and run VMWare ESX on it with 32-bit Windows 2008 hosts.

I have 10 running and it's pretty cool