Options

CompTia CTT+

srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I noticed that New Horizons is offering CTT+ Train the Trainer classes all over the east/northeastern US over the next few months.

Has anyone taked the New horizons CTT+ Train the Trainer 3 day course?

What did you think of them. Was it helpful?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I signed up for the New Horizon CTT+ Train the Trainer being offered in Waltham, MA in August. I will review the course in this thread at that time.

I assume that no one reading this is pursuing CTT+?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Taking the written in a week or two :D

Then I need to work on the video...
  • Options
    Too bad you are so far away or I would volunteer to be a "Learner" for you.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does the New Horizons CTT+ course include the filming of the video? I can't find any indication in their website that it does. Personally, I wouldn't take a course for CTT+ that doesn't result in my walking out of there with a submission-ready CTT+ video.

Not to turn this into a complete advertisement, but because there has been significant demand for CTT+ recently, I am hosting a 2-day CTT+ course in Dallas in August. It will be held over a weekend and will result in attendees leaving with a submission-ready CTT+ hi-def video. This is limited to 7 people, and I already have 2.

Please contact me here for additional details if interested.

MS
  • Options
    No idea whether they include a video session. I too looked to see if they did. Like I say I will review them after I am done.
    I have not been to Texas in many years. It would be fun to come out.
    As it is I have to go to Watham MA to do this. My local New York New Horizons (Albany) will also host a class on September 9, 10, and 11 but I cannot attend this one as school starts on September 8th! Since I am the Network Administrator it would be bad for me to not be there. Albany is only an hour from me. Waltham is 4 hours away. So I guess I count it as a working vacation.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    srcurrie wrote: »
    No idea whether they include a video session. I too looked to see if they did. Like I say I will review them after I am done.
    I have not been to Texas in many years. It would be fun to come out.
    As it is I have to go to Watham MA to do this. My local New York New Horizons (Albany) will also host a class on September 9, 10, and 11 but I cannot attend this one as school starts on September 8th! Since I am the Network Administrator it would be bad for me to not be there. Albany is only an hour from me. Waltham is 4 hours away. So I guess I count it as a working vacation.

Well come on down...we'd love to have you! I have to warn you though, the trip from Albany requires connecting usually at Newark, and that ain't pretty. I've done it many times.

Seriously though, wherever you decide to take this, make sure that for the money that you spend you walk out of the class with everything you need to complete the certification. In my mind this means that I have a video ready to be submitted and a completed submission form.

The written for the CTT+ is doable through self-study. However, the failure rate for the video portion I'm told is around 50%. The high failure rate is because candidates attempt to film the video themselves, and it doesn't have exactly what CompTIA wants.

It's a tricky cert, and I wish you the best.

MS
  • Options
    As I said I will review them. I agree with you about the Video. your suggestions were good about what should be expected. I have done other traing with New Horizons in the past (Syracuse) and the classes I took were good. Hopefully this one is too.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Good job Dynamic. I have not been on in a while as I managed to get sick and end up in the Hospital!! Better now though.
    That second part is the one I wish there was a better guide for. I also have a book from gtlearning.com. It is a self study guide.
    As I said I will review New Horizons offering after August 6th or so. If it turns out to be worth it there will be many more classes throughout the year.
  • Options
    So a week before my class my laptop literally burned up. I was unable to replace it before class.

The New Horizons offering in Boston was really a Train the Trainer class using coureware that followed the outline for CTT+ and with information at the end for pursuing CTT+ and the MCT.

The class DID NOT include a submission ready video or help with forms. zthe class DOES fulfill MCT requirements.

I did learn a lot from the class. It was worth it to me to go despite the fact that I agree with the earlier posts about ";eaving with a submission ready video".
    As I said this TTT course followed the outline for CTT+ and we had a very good Trainer Mark Sawyer at the Waltham New Horizons. We learned each section and then we went home and worked on a 5 minute "Lecturette". We picked a topic to teach for the next day and prepared a lesson to teach our fellow classmates.
    The next morning I went first and taught the class mailmerge in Office 2007. Everyone was filmed with a video camera. We did evaluations on eachother and watched the videos and critiqued them.
    I learned that I had some strong points but also several weaknesses which I intend to fix. I also could not keep my leson under 5 minutes.
    I enjoyed the course and it was fun. I think it was misnamed and should have been called just "Train the Trainer" instead of "CTT+ Trainer the Trainer".