Options

MCP after Net+ & CCNA?

killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys is it dumb to get MCP certified if I am already Net+ and CCNA certified? I'm having a hard time getting a job because some require MCP and A+ and I'm not sure if I wanna spend a lot of money going after those easy certs just to prove I know the basic stuff.

What I really want to get is Security+ then CCNP but with only 1 year of IT experience (IT Technician/System Administration) I'm not sure if it's the best decision.

What do you guys suggest I should do?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I think an MCP would be a good compliment to a CCNA, especially if it comes from a Server 2008 or 2003 exam.

Are you new to the industry? If so, were I in your situation, MCP and A+ would probably be the next two certifications that I pursue. A+ will be very helpful if you're looking for something entry level, and an MCP will continue to be an asset for years.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know how much an MCP alone will do for you, but 290 will give you a decent overview of Server 2003, and it's comparatively easy to the other exams in the track. Vista/2008 exams give you an MCTS, not an MCP.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    dynamik wrote: »
    Vista/2008 exams give you an MCTS, not an MCP.

That goes to show you how out of date I am with MS certifications. :)