Options

MCSA and beyond...

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Im currently on Level 1 helpdesk and cautious to move with the recession and all. I just got my MCSA on Friday and did

70-620: TS: Windows Vista, Configuring
70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

And Security +

I understand Im over qualified for Level 1 but I do not want to sit on my hands and be well certified when things pick up

I hope to do Linux + as advised by a friend

However I also did A+ and Network + as part of my IT Support Diploma but I did not get seperate certification for this just was part of my diploma

Should I do these as well or what about going to do Microsoft Certified Desktop Technician (MCDST) ?

Hope to do MCSE at some stage as well. I wonder is the MCSE in Security a better one to have?

Any thought please on best for CV? I want to do certificates I can always just leave them out but want to be ready for return to good times

Thanks
Noel

Comments

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Yeah you should get your mcse. Another thing is try and turn the diploma that you have rite now into a degree.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Isn't your Level-1 work on par with the MCDST, Net+ and A+? I guess you could knock those out easily enough, but you might want to focus on what will take you to the next level. I'd keep studying while looking for another position. The Security designation basically just requires that you take the security design exam plus one more elective (two total, but you already have the Sec+). Knowing more will never hurt you :D
  • Options
    Yes true I just want to spend time on certs that will make me more saleable on the jobs market

Maybe a+ and net+ are not the best to do for me?

Thanks
    Noel
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Comptia exams, with the exception of maybe A+ are not very marketable. Take that same effort and apply it somewhere more... sellable.

MCDST would probably be a step back for you now, but it couldn't hurt if you have a few weeks and a space few hundred dollars.

I would recommend CCNA:Security, and MCITP: Server Administrator for you as the next few things you might want to do.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Have to agree with the post above. I would consider the MCSE,CCNA, MCITP tracks over the MCDST or any CompTIA Exam.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Hi there

Was thinking this over and maybe I might do MCSA in Security and Messaging

Would have to do 2 more mcps for this

Also maybe Linux+ what you reckon

Is this worth having is there a better certification for Linux?

Thanks
    Noel
  • Options
    Linux+ is a good starting place. You might want to check out the LPIC certs as well. I don't think they're extremely popular, but I like how they're put together. The RHCE is obviously the king of Linux certs, but you should probably set that as a long-term goal ;)
  • Options
    puertorico123puertorico123 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    also a balanced are good starting point. if you have a MCSA now take a entry level of network like CCNET and a database certification. also start to take any MCST for 2008, is good in theses times.
    HOLD:
    Comptia A+
    Comptia Network+

2009 Plan:
    MCSA...75%
    CCENT....0%
    70-648..0%

2010 Plan:
    MCITP
    ORACLE
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    unless you're bored or want to get into Cisco, you're doing pretty well IMHO.

I wouldnt bother doing anything else unless you're job hunting something with specific needs.

Dont waste your time with A+ or N+, or MCDST since you already have certs that are higher on the food chain. I doubt you could get any ROI.

That's just me.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Daniel333 wrote: »

Comptia exams, with the exception of maybe A+ are not very marketable. Take that same effort and apply it somewhere more... sellable.

QUOTE]

You are right, and I don't understand why. A+ is the easiest, you'd think some of the harder ones would be more marketable.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    TravR1 wrote: »
    You are right, and I don't understand why. A+ is the easiest, you'd think some of the harder ones would be more marketable.

The more difficult ones should be backed up with experience; they're not worth that much without it. I'd be much less nervous having a nurse draw blood without any previous experience than having a surgeon operate without any previous experience.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    TravR1 wrote: »
    Daniel333 wrote: »

QUOTE]

Maybe this is just due to my differing levels of experience when I took each exam, but I thought A+ was a reasonable test, and Network+ was a joke. Perhaps Network+ has tainted the others?