Options

1710 routers any good?

adeeteeadeetee Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Guys, A friend of mine is being kind and sending me couple of 1710 routers with cables n all.

Those are old routers, and have his organization's config which will give me some food for thought.

Question is, Are they any good for practice? Will they work with more functions if I update them with currect IOS image... I am new to real labs.. Thought of doing so as I am preparing for ICND2..

Not sure what else to ask as of now, but will definitely have more questions when I receive them..
Wish List :
CISSP...

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    adeetee wrote: »
    Guys, A friend of mine is being kind and sending me couple of 1710 routers with cables n all.

Those are old routers, and have his organization's config which will give me some food for thought.

Question is, Are they any good for practice? Will they work with more functions if I update them with currect IOS image... I am new to real labs.. Thought of doing so as I am preparing for ICND2..

Not sure what else to ask as of now, but will definitely have more questions when I receive them..
    Anything for free is good, right?

Cisco 1710 Security Access Router
    The Cisco 1710 provides a complete security access solution in a single device, with high-speed encryption, stateful inspection firewall, intrusion detection system (IDS), VPN tunnel server, and Cisco IOS® multiprotocol routing. This integration reduces deployment and management time and expense because fewer devices and cables need to be installed and configured. An integrated product also saves space and increases reliability because fewer standalone devices are needed to build a solution. The Cisco 1710 simplifies ongoing support of small branch offices from a central site through remote configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting of all integrated functions in the security router.

Check out the EOL/EOS for 1700 series, EOL/EOS for the Cisco 1700 Series. Not so old!
  • Options
    adeeteeadeetee Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anything for free is good, right?

Cisco 1710 Security Access Router

lol... ya have same thought in mind.. Ya, I read the doc, read lots of stuff on google about these...

Only wanted to know if there are some things I am not going to able to try... based
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Check out the EOL/EOS for 1700 series, EOL/EOS for the Cisco 1700 Series. Not so old!
    Not quite. The 1710 was EOLed and replaced ages ago with the 1711.

They'll still be useful. Obviously they won't be as good as a brand new 1800 series but you should be able to do most things with them. The latest IOS available is 12.4.25a with the IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES feature set. You may not have enough RAM/Flash to use that though and buying upgrades may be expensive.

I wouldn't argue if somebody decided to give me a bunch of free 1710s anyway.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The price on those 1710s is definitely right!! :D

Flash will be the limiting factor.

The 1710 should have 32meg DRAM "on board" and 1 slot that might have or could be upgraded to another 32meg or 64 DRAM -- for a MAX of 96Meg DRAM.

Flash is fixed at 16meg, but you should still be able to run a nice 12.4 Enterprise Base or 12.4 Advanced Security with that. 12.3 Enterprise Services also would fit if you find you need some of those features down the road.

And even if you upgrade later to newer routers in your lab core, the 1710 can still be useful as "hosts" for testing your network end to end connectivity.

If you were actually looking to spend money on 1700 series routers, then I'd suggest the 1721 or 1751 "desk mount" versions or the 1760 rack mount version. Make sure the desk mount routers come with a power brick or wall wart (the power supply).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!