Apps think HDD is full

AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
Anyone knows how to fix in an XP machine apps think the HDD is full without it being full. Outlook prompts error messages when trying to download, move, delete emails.

Haven't found anything online in a quick search. Thank you. bowing.gif
XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
VCP4 » 0%
LPIC-1 » 0%

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Is Outlook running in cached mode against an Exchange server?

Is Outlook downloading to a PST?

If so, how big is the PST?

Is the PST being stored on a network file share?
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Is Outlook running in cached mode against an Exchange server?

Is Outlook downloading to a PST?

If so, how big is the PST?

Is the PST being stored on a network file share?

Thanks for the reply.

1. It is downloading to PST
    2. PST is about 4-6GB
    3. PST saved locally

I also tried doing scanpst repair and it errors out saying that there's no sufficient disk space to complete the task even though there is.

Any ideas?

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you ran basic disk utilities like chkdsk and defrag? What percentage is free?
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    4-6 GB pst... ouch. I'd recommend splitting them up into at least two or three seperate PSTs.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    If the HD really has plenty of space and only Outlook is giving you errors, you may have reached the size limit of the PST file. Do you have any group policies that would limit the size of the PST? The default max is 20Gb in 2003 and 2007, but this can be changed. Run a Resultant Set of Policy (rsop.msc) and see if the max values have been set.

Increase maximum size pst-files | MSOutlook.info
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Its not using FAT32 for the file system is it?
    dynamik wrote: »
    Have you ran basic disk utilities like chkdsk and defrag? What percentage is free?

No change after this.
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If the HD really has plenty of space and only Outlook is giving you errors, you may have reached the size limit of the PST file. Do you have any group policies that would limit the size of the PST? The default max is 20Gb in 2003 and 2007, but this can be changed. Run a Resultant Set of Policy (rsop.msc) and see if the max values have been set.

Increase maximum size pst-files | MSOutlook.info

We don't have any application policies.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Its not using FAT32 for the file system is it?

Yes. Just found out it was FAT32 when performing a disk check. Is this a known issue? Is the file size over the limit?

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Andretii wrote: »
    Yes. Just found out it was FAT32 when performing a disk check. Is this a known issue? Is the file size over the limit?
    FAT32 has a 4GB - 1 byte file size limit. You can't create anything bigger than that. The entire partition can be 2TB but each file can only be a maximum of 4GB.

How'd you get a 4-6GB PST in FAT32? :P
    tiersten wrote: »
    FAT32 has a 4GB - 1 byte file size limit. You can't create anything bigger than that. The entire partition can be 2TB but each file can only be a maximum of 4GB.

How'd you get a 4-6GB PST in FAT32? :P

You're completely right. 3.99 GB (4,292,837,376 bytes). It tricked me with 4.20GB that it displays outside of the file properties.

I have no idea of why this laptop was configured with a FAT32 partition. Gotta split the file tonight.

Thanks a lot! bowing.gif

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Yeah dont waste time splitting the PST for sake of the fix (couldnt hurt anyway, though)

just run a

convert C: fs=ntfs (or is it /fs:ntfs)

Should be done for security and stability sake anyway