Options

ntbackup replacement for Server 2008 ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anyone know a good replacement for ntbackup on Server 2008 ?

We are looking basically for

> VSS support
> Ability to backup to network share
> File-level backups

And the whole lot for a-moon-on-a-stick .. cheap ish :)
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'd probably be looking at something like Symantec BEWS. Not sure about anything that falls on the "cheapish" side of things though...
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You'd probably be looking at something like Symantec BEWS. Not sure about anything that falls on the "cheapish" side of things though...

I mean not a program which costs like hundreds / server :)
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    How about the built-in Windows Backup in 2008?
    Windows Server Backup Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Server 2008

It supports VSS, the ability to backup to network shares (except for system state), and file-level backups. Tape drives aren't supported, and you can only backup Exchange 2007 if it is SP2, but other than that I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »

It supports VSS, the ability to backup to network shares (except for system state), and file-level backups. Tape drives aren't supported, and you can only backup Exchange 2007 if it is SP2, but other than that I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

Mmm... I don't remember WHY we didn't want to use it .. I guess I'll give it another try ..
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »

Actually, I do remember now because it DOES NOT support Filebased backups (unless I am being stupid here).

The site clearly states
    Folders or files
    Back up just individual folders or files if you only want to be able to recover those items.

However, it doesn't .. every schedule setup with Windows Backup does a full image backup. The only way I see is using Robocopy which is clearly rubbish as a decent backup solution .. Unless I really miss something silly here ..
  • Options
    applies to: Windows server 2008 r2

aaaaahhhhhhh ....
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Now it makes sense. All the backup options are volume based rather than file + folder unless you have R2.

I'm not real happy with windows backup either, having learned the hard way that system state can't be backed up to a network share - fortunately I had some extra drives lying around from some servers we virtualized. I never intend to use windows backup as a primary backup methodology, but it's nice to have in a pinch to help prevent RGEs when troubleshooting other problems. Thankfully MS has returned the ability to backup Exchange 2007 on server 2008.

I have been mostly happy with the Exchange integration in the new HP Data Protector 6.1, but HP DP is probably overkill for you. Perhaps something light like BackupAssist might do the trick. They have a free trial and maybe someone else here has some experiences they are willing to share
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bailifei wrote: »
    maybe u can try some professional third-party backup tools, such as todo backup, acronis, paragon, and clonezilla.
    i've tried some of these backup tools, to find that true image is absolutely good, but too expensive.
    paragon, todo backup, and clonezilla are pretty much the same in features, but todo backup offers a reasonable price.

You forgot to mention that you're a shill for todo backup.

Better Windows Backup solution? - Tech Support Forum

Windows Server Backup Problem - Tech Support Forum

Best FREE Incremental Backup Software?

Disk cloning for Windows 2003 server

Test this backup software - Beginners @ OneStopTesting - Beginners @ OneStopTesting - Software Testing @ OneStopTesting

I could go on.