Options

Processor(s) do not support full virtualization

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a dell T300 with a Xeon® X3323 Quad 2.5 processor and 12GB or RAM. I wanted to use this for Visualization using either Open Suse or Enterprise Suse as the base OS. I have installed Enterprise for now and installed the visualization software and kernel and booted to it.

My problem is that when I try to create a windows guest it's gives an error saying something like 'Processor(s) don't support full visualization.

What processors do?

what are my options on what to do next?

Thanks for any helps guys
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That processor does support Intel VT-x so I would check in the bios and ensure that it is enabled.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    That processor does support Intel VT-x so I would check in the bios and ensure that it is enabled.

You need "Execute Disable Bit" as well
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Ah, yes, you've discovered that not all Intel CPUs support virtualization. All of AMD's CPU's do, but not all of Intel's. Go figure.

This Ed Bott article explains the problem and lists all the Intel processors that do and don't support Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT).
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CPU supports virtualization as mentioned, enable VT and execute disable as others said. Don't just save and restart in bios and expect it to work, you will likely need to power off and back on as well.
  • Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your replies guys, a couple of you were on the money, there was a setting in the bios to enable intel VT, i'm glad that worked else I would have been pretty pissed with that CPU becasue it wasn't cheap :)

It's working well now, very impressed with suse enterprise, my first virtual machine on there is a 3cx PBX on server 2003 which was very easy to set up, love this technology.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    What a big pile of wank MS are!!!

How many people have bought a CPU that is non-VT? This suks big time

I have 8gig of ram purley for virtual PC's, will have to invest in a new CPU now
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Lee H wrote: »
    How is it Microsoft's fault? They're not the one that made the CPU.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    CPU supports virtualization as mentioned, enable VT and execute disable as others said. Don't just save and restart in bios and expect it to work, you will likely need to power off and back on as well.

Just curios - where have you seen the power cycling requirement before? Most of the systems that I've enabled VT on are Dells, and I've never seen that behavior.
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    tiersten wrote: »
    How is it Microsoft's fault? They're not the one that made the CPU.
    Everything is Microsoft's fault--including bad grammar.
  • Options
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    Just curios - where have you seen the power cycling requirement before? Most of the systems that I've enabled VT on are Dells, and I've never seen that behavior.
    I'm guess that the need for a power cycle is because the BIOS (on some brands of motherboards) doesn't reset the area of the CPU that controls virtualization when it saves/exits the CMOS menu. This could be done for security reasons, or it's an oversight on the part of the programmers. Either way, if that virtualization area is addressable by the BIOS, it should be fixable with a firmware update.