Options

VMWare Question

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there a way to add a removable drive to a VMWare session. I would like to install WSUS on my Windows Server 2003 VMWare session and would like to do so via a usb flash drive. I've copied the WSUS and .Net Framework to the flash drive. I'm just trying to figure out a way to install it to my VMWare session. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What VMware product are you using? Workstation allows you to connect USB devices to a VM, or you could just connect to it the host and setup share it to the VM (either through Workstation's sharing feature or by traditional file sharing with bridged networking).
  • Options
    I'm using VMWare Workstation 6.0.4.

• Options
    You should be good then. Isn't 6.5 a free update?
  • Options
    I ended up changing my Ethernet to Host-Only, and it worked like a charm. Thank you!

I never tried updating to 6.5, as I didn't know it was even available. LOL!

As always, YOU DA MAN!

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ended up changing my Ethernet to Host-Only, and it worked like a charm. Thank you!

I never tried updating to 6.5, as I didn't know it was even available. LOL!

As always, YOU DA MAN!

I'm not sure why changing the adapter properties to host-only would make a difference in the way it handles USB connectivity.

6.5 is a pretty big improvement over 6.0.
  • Options
    RTmarc wrote: »
    I'm not sure why changing the adapter properties to host-only would make a difference in the way it handles USB connectivity.
    I wasn't able to get the session to detect a USB device until I changed the Ethernet to Host-Only. Once I did that and plugged in the USB drive, VMWare detected it.

• Options
    Oh, I assumed you were just accessing it over a network share. Like RT said, that's not going to affect your USB functionality at all. You need to have the VM active when you plug the device in, otherwise it will just go to the host like usual. You probably just made the change and kept focus on the VM.