Options

Exclusion/Static Reservation/Dynamic

HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I just now started studying for the 291 exam, and it didn't take me long to find something that I consider annoying.

There has been a few questions asking containing various scenarios about DHCP and it would ask "what should you do?"

The choices would consist of either creating an exclusion list and assigning static ip addresses OR creating a reservation list and utilizing DHCP.

Both answers would work, but sometimes Testout prefers one over the other. I just wanted to complain about it. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    The main thing to consider is do you want your server/scope options applied to whichever server or workstation you're statically setting. Exclusions are necessary only for static IP addressing since the DHCP server has no way of knowing that the address has already been used.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didn't use TestOut, but I think if you really scrutinize the wording, you'll be able to determine which is the "best fit" given the scenario. In most cases, either would be acceptable.

You'd want to use reservations if you wanted to control the IP from the DHCP server. However, what if a low-level tech needs to replace a failed NIC on a machine but does not have access to update the MAC address in the DHCP reservation. In that case, you'd probably be better off just using an exclusion and allowing that person to configure the IP address of the NIC if something like that were to happen.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Learn how MS wants it done for the exam, then do your way in the real world.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The most important thing to remember is the way Microsoft wants you to do it, (for the exams, at least). In the case of the TestOut series, I'd recommend paying close attention to the videos and printing out the text-pages that they show you, since they present a lot of information in the printed stuff as they do in the videos. At the end of the day, though, the most important rule to remember for these exams is, "There's the right way, the wrong way, and One Microsoft Way."

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Learn how MS wants it done for the exam, then do your way in the real world.

I believe the joke goes: There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Microsoft way :D

Edit: I think I remember where I've heard that before... I honestly wrote that without reading Slowhand's post (I've gotten good at tuning him out) icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    I believe the joke goes: There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Microsoft way :D

Edit: I think I remember where I've heard that before... I honestly wrote that without reading Slowhand's post (I've gotten good at tuning him out) icon_lol.gif
    Yup, that's whatever you were talking about, for you. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.