Options

Passed CCNA:S

NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, what can i say, i PASSED CCNA:Security. Thank you guys for all your support.
I used Cisco press and CBT:Nuggets.
I highly recomend CBT. CBT> Trainsignal.
You should know your SDM inside OUT.
Well good luck to you, i'm off for SNRS.
Btw, should i got for CCNP 1st? I do not have no real experience...
Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

I plan on taking the CCNA Security after I knock out ISCW to complete my CCNP. Some of the topics from CCNA Security match up with ISCW if you decide to go the CCNP route.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NullCode wrote: »
    Well, what can i say, i PASSED CCNA:Security.
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    should i got for CCNP 1st? I do not have no real experience..

There is a section in the CCSP FAQ -- icon_confused.gif: CCSP or CCNP?

A lot depends on what you planned for your career path.... and the opportunities you have now or get in the future.

Are you in a position now where you are using using your CCNA and can use your CCNA:Security? If not, go find a position/job that will.

The CCNP is the usual next step after a CCNA (and experience), but I've posted many times in the past -- If you have an opportunity to do Voice or Security and get experience in your current job (or offered job) then go for it (the CCVP or CCSP) -- you can always add the CCNP later.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Yea, no experience for me yet(still in faculty of Computer Science). I really enjoy the security part of the IT field, but i know that none will give you something to 'secure' if you do not know how to built it in the 1st place, that is why i am thinking of CCNP 1st, then CCSP.
    In my area, there are few jobs in the IT Security field, and those are really hard to get.
    Anyway .. thx for the advice ppl.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

I'm studying for this one now but I'm thinking I may need to head to the dark side!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, what can i say, i PASSED CCNA:Security. Thank you guys for all your support.
    Any ideas?

Can I ask you a few questions:

I plan on taking the CCNA on the 26th, after some MS certs that I must get, I am thinking about taking the CCNA:S to round out my security skills. My questions for you are : How long have you had the CCNA? What made you go for the CCNA:S? Besides the books did you use any equipment to study and if so what would you suggest? How difficult was the exam compared to the CCNA?
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    How long have you had the CCNA?
    I took the CCNA in November, but i studied for ISCW, and that helped me for CCNA:S
    What made you go for the CCNA:S?
    I really enjoy security, and certs. I wanted a cert to show my interest in Security.
    Besides the books did you use any equipment to study and if so what would you suggest?
    I really recommend GNS3(dynamips,dynagen). Without the GNS3+SDM, you do not have a real chance to pass.
    +
    CBT-Nugget from Jeremy. It really explains a lot better then the books, and you can see the configurations of SDM too.
    It explains Policys, Class Maps etc a lot better.
    How difficult was the exam compared to the CCNA?
    As Jeremy said.
    CCNA= 10/10
    CCNA:S = 8/10 - so it is easier then CCNA(at least that is what i think)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

I really recommend GNS3(dynamips,dynagen). Without the GNS3+SDM, you do not have a real chance to pass.
    +
    CBT-Nugget from Jeremy. It really explains a lot better then the books, and you can see the configurations of SDM too.
    It explains Policys, Class Maps etc a lot better.

As Jeremy said.
    CCNA= 10/10
    CCNA:S = 8/10 - so it is easier then CCNA(at least that is what i think)

Good to know. I have been self studying for the CCNA for the last few months. I find the routing simulator I am using to be very poor. Although I also have Packet Tracer, I really want the real thing. I think I am going to purchase a few routers and switches to set up my lab. I am thinking about studying for the CCNA:S later this year (I already have MCP/MCSA/MCSE/S+/Server+ on my plate and I also will be going back to school soon).

Great job on the pass, very inspiring! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any ideas?

Congrats mate and thanks for posting your experience with the exam. I should be taking it soon, originally I was suppose to have taken that on 20th of last month but things got delayed, now I am hoping to finish it within this month.

Good luck for future certs.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Good to know that the CBT Nuggets are worth it for the exam...I know ASDM really well but have't done much with SDM...I'm assuming a lot of the configurations are similar...I never can seem to get GNS3 to talk on my network right to access SDM, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Anything else you recommend for the exam? I'm going to take it sometime in the next month or so.
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    Anything else you recommend for the exam? I'm going to take it sometime in the next month or so.
    Well you need to know the VPN/Firewall stuff(debug,implement) with SDM, and of course do not neglet all chapters of the exam.
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be honest I think the CCNA Security is one of the easiest certification test I have taken. Navigating through the SDM is very intuitive. I think anyone with a CCNA (a prerequisite) could configure routers using the SDM with little or no experience with it.
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    accelyaccely Member Posts: 101
    abhustler wrote: »
    To be honest I think the CCNA Security is one of the easiest certification test I have taken. Navigating through the SDM is very intuitive. I think anyone with a CCNA (a prerequisite) could configure routers using the SDM with little or no experience with it.
    2nd'd on the SDM part. I just got done taking my CCNP: ISCW which required some SDM simulations. Even if you don't know where something is.... it's as easy as clicking around to find what you need.. very very easy to used SDM even if you only see it in videos.
    Progress: CCIE RS Lab scheduled for Jan. 2012
    Equipment: Cisco 360 program racks