Guidence

del04del04 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
GREETINGS:)!

I'm a senior at the College of the Bahamas, majoring in Network systems and a new-comer to this forum. I have yet to obtain my first certification. I wanted to knw which cerifcation would be the ideal one to go for first and why.icon_confused.gif??:

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    welcome aboard!

Network+ might make a nice intro for you, but beyond that, it will vary depending on what you want to do. Do you want to be working with Cisco equipment, will you be working with Juniper, or none of the above? Do you want to be working on the server-side of network setup? If you give us a little more info about what path you want to follow, it will be a bit easier to say which certs might be a better fit for you.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • del04del04 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the speedy reply skrpune. i'm intersted in network administration. not quite sure about which brand i would prefer working with since i am slightly familiar with cisco ONLY. i am really green to the cert world. I have only done a handful of BASIC networking courses. However i have 7 more network couses to complete b4 graduation. I would like to have at least one cert b4 i leave COB.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    del04 wrote: »
    thanks for the speedy reply skrpune. i'm intersted in network administration. not quite sure about which brand i would prefer working with since i am slightly familiar with cisco ONLY. i am really green to the cert world. I have only done a handful of BASIC networking courses. However i have 7 more network couses to complete b4 graduation. I would like to have at least one cert b4 i leave COB.

Since you seem to be familiar with or have at least had some exposure with cisco equipment i recommend that you go for your ccent and then your ccna
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Lisa, you all this is my close friend from school, so make her feel at home. I agree with qwertyiop though, if you have basic knowledge of Cisco's equipment, you should continue to build on what you have learned.icon_thumright.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
    thank you guys so much for the advice! now i have agood idea on where i should start from. It would either be ccent or network +.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Start with the Network+ and see how you do with it! I wish you luck.

I actually just got my Certificate in the mail today!! It's a good feeling. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
    oh ok!! thank you redline!!! and CONGRATULATIONS on your network + certification! so how was it? how long did you study for it ? what advice would you give a newbee like me?