Options

Starting CCNA soon confused on study material

canthony1980canthony1980 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am starting the CCNA soon. I am looking for study material and it comes down to two Sybex and Cisco Press.

To be honest i am confused on which one to choose from. I have found positive and negative reviews on the two books. I need some help from you guys so that i can make a good decision.

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You really can't go wrong with either - The Sybex books are easier to read, but the Cisco Press books tend to go into a bit more detail. I've read both but tend to gravitate toward the Cisco books.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What's your background and experience?

The Sybex book alone is fine for someone with networking experiences and hands on work experience with Cisco Routers and Switches.

If you're a total newb to networking and IT but are already thinking past the CCNA, then you'll need Odom's CCNA Certification Library and Todd's Sybex book.

If you're cheap and want to buy just one book (or boxed set) -- then you probably want Odom's books. If you're really cheap and feeling lucky, then you can try just Todd's Sybex book.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @canthony1980...

Books are great tools. I personally used Sybex and Cisco Press. But regardless of how much you read, hands on will be your best bet of retaining the information and having the ability to apply it to a given situation. Just my two cents.

V/r

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker