Options

BCMSN Lab Portfolio

mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone used this? As seen here - CCNP Building Multilayer Switched Networks (BCMSN 642-812) Lab Portfolio (Cisco Networking Academy) • The Register Books

What hardware is required for the labs in the book?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From this previous thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/27322-bcmsn-lab-portiflio.html

LOkrasa wrote: »
    I got it several days ago and while its not nearly as thick as the BSCI (571 vs 215 pages) it does seem to cover all the topics. Chapter breakdown is as follows:

Chp1 - Network Requirements
    Chp2 - Defining VLANS
    Chp3 - Implementing Spanning Tree
    Chp4 - Implementing Inter-VLAN Routing
    Chp5 - Implementing High Avail in a Campus Environment
    Chp6 - Wireless LANS
    Chp7 - Configuring Campus Switches to Support Voice
    Chp8 - Minimizing Service Loss and Data Theft in a Campus Network
    Chp9 - Case Studies

The one thing that I did notice vs the BSCI was that the lab requirements for this book are a little hefty. For the BSCI guide you can get away with spending roughly $800 for a lab that will suffice for the entire book where as for the BCMSN it is a little bit more demanding. The intro states it needs 2-3560s and 2-2960s which in total can rup you up to several thousand $... I think once I get my BSCI out of the way I will be forced to use Dynamips to do the rest.
    Netwurk wrote: »
    3550's with EMI image should be OK for most labs and are a lot cheaper than 3560's

And 2950s are cheaper than 2960s
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I used the lab portfolio for BCMSN and thought it was a good help. Just make sure you really have 3550's and *not* 3500's for your layer 3 switches. I lucked out and was able to use 2x 3560's and 2x 2950's at work to make a small lab. The only thing I really couldn't lab that I wanted to was GLBP. icon_sad.gif

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog