Options

Wsus

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
What are some key things to study for, as far as WSUS is concerned? The book I used to study for the exam did not even cover it. I downloaded the WSUS Step By Step guide from MS, but it wasn't very straight-forward. Any help would be appreciated!
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure about a study guide, but i am learning wsus myself at the moment. The best thing i ever did was to install it and go through setting everything up. I have come across some stumbling blocks, but a bit of googling and reading of technet articles have resolved most of my issues.

Hands on is best!!!

You can always install a trial of server 2k3 if you dont have media/licenses or an environment available.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think my exam covered options such as sychronization, options for updating clients in GPOs, the necessary apps to run WSUS, upstream and downstream servers and the pros and cons of using MS to store updates vs. using your own servers to store updates.
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Also look into how to re-configure the content directory, as in how to move the folder holding the updates to a different volume.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I think my exam covered options such as sychronization, options for updating clients in GPOs, the necessary apps to run WSUS, upstream and downstream servers and the pros and cons of using MS to store updates vs. using your own servers to store updates.
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    Also look into how to re-configure the content directory, as in how to move the folder holding the updates to a different volume.

And anything else WSUS is capable of icon_lol.gif

Seriously, just dig in and play around. It should be fairly self-explanatory. The most important thing is that you know what it's capabilities and limitations are.
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Kind of sucks when the mspress book is so out date and doesn't cover the newest versions of the software, think i had the newest edition and it still went over RRAS with dialup.
    Be nice if you could download some kind of update to the book.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Set it up, configure a down stream server and kinda mentally design how you would design your test/production envionment if you were in charge of patch management. And you'll do fine.

If you really want a good read, Creating the Secure Managed Desktop is a good read. Goes into more detail.
    http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Secure-Managed-Desktop-Deployment/dp/0470277645
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I appreciate all of your input!
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »

Added to my wish list, thanks!