Options

Help with Router and Switch Setup Please

Manuel_AManuel_A Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am setting up my CCNA/CCNP/CCIE lab.

This is what I am starting with,

I am buying 4 – 3725 Routers, and 2 – 3550 100BASE-FX Switches for my lab, I need some help setting it up.

I plan on buying two 3560 switches by August.

I was thinking of using 2 – WIC-2T in each of the 3725 routers. What other WIC’s do you think I will need?

The image for 3725 12.4.15T9: c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin

And one 3640’s for my frame relay switch. Or do you think 2621XM would be better chose over the 3640 for my frame relay switch.

For the 3550’s the Enhanced image is: c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEC2.bin I think this is right.

I need some help with cabling everything up the right way. Keeping scalability in mind,

:D
Thank You in advance

Manuel _A
2 x 3550s
7 x 3725s 256/128
1 x 2511

Comments

• Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    There is no right way to cable your lab up,

The reason being if you are studying you will build and rip apart the lab many times a day\few days\week.

one point i would suggest is getting an access server.
  • Options
    Sirsamon wrote: »

There is no right way to cable your lab up,

The reason being if you are studying you will build and rip apart the lab many times a day\few days\week.

one point i would suggest is getting an access server.

I Know the lab will change, what i am looking for is something to start with.

Do you mean something like Cisco's 2511 Access Server/Router?

Thank You
    2 x 3550s
    7 x 3725s 256/128
    1 x 2511
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Manuel_A wrote: »
    I Know the lab will change, what i am looking for is something to start with.

Do you mean something like Cisco's 2511 Access Server/Router?

Thank You
    Or you could always pick up a NM-16A or NM-32A. It all depends on the price, 2511's have been a bit high as of late.
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Or you could always pick up a NM-16A or NM-32A. It all depends on the price, 2511's have been a bit high as of late.

What exactly is an access server?
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would suggest getting the 3550-48 or 24 copper and not the FX models. you will need at least 6 routers so mixing and matching is possible of different models. I would also suggest looking at going virtual for the routers as that will allow more flexibility. this would be the place to start 7200emu.hacki.at :: Index along with blindhog.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    start with GNS3 dont spent your money
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Manuel_A wrote: »
    what i am looking for is something to start with.
    Um, the CCNA?

Or CompTIA Network+ if you have no networking knowledge or experience.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options

They cost just as much as the 2511, not including the cost of the router, I think the 2511 with two octal cables is the best way for me to go.
    2 x 3550s
    7 x 3725s 256/128
    1 x 2511
  • Options
    keenon wrote: »
    i would suggest getting the 3550-48 or 24 copper and not the FX models. you will need at least 6 routers so mixing and matching is possible of different models. I would also suggest looking at going virtual for the routers as that will allow more flexibility. this would be the place to start 7200emu.hacki.at :: Index along with blindhog.

You are right so I decided to go with three 3550 EMI instead, and added one 3640 for FR, and one 2511 for AS. And add two 3560 by august.

I want the real deal hands on experience. This way if something is wrong, it’s up to me to finger it out and fix the problem. That’s what it is all about right.

In the CCIE lab it will be up to me to do my job, trouble shouting is the fun part you get to test yourself at the same time you’re having the time of your life :D
    2 x 3550s
    7 x 3725s 256/128
    1 x 2511
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mzinz wrote: »
    What exactly is an access server?

To answer this question -

It's something with a whole lot of async lines. You hook those async lines into the console ports of the routers and switches, then you only need to be able to access that piece of gear to be able to get console access into all of your network gear. It's remarkably convenient for a lab environment because it means you only have to access one piece of gear (moving the console cable from port to port as you're reconfiguring your lab is a royal pain in the rear).

It's also practical from a real world point of view. If you provide out of band access to your access server, which is connected to your network gear, you can get to it in the event that there's an outage which would make your gear inaccessible