Options

CCVP certification - more confusion

Ok, I was under the assumption that if you were going the VP track that included Gwgk, then there would be 6 tests to take: CVoice, Gwgk, CIPT 4.1, TUC, QoS, and lastly CCNA-Voice. Once done, you would be CCVP certified.

However, I coworker just told me that if you took CVoice 6.0 back before CCNA-Voice came out, you didn't have to take CCNA-Voice at all! It could be left out, meaning only 5 tests to have to pass! Is this correct?

As I'm going through the requirements page on Cisco's website, I came upon this information --> if you go the Gwgk track, yes, you have to take CIPT 4.1, but this is not one test. This includes CIPT 4.1 Part 1 and CIPT 4.1 Part 2!! Two tests!

So - if I, in fact, passed CVoice 5.0 and not 6.0, and I go the Gwgk track, I would have to pass 7 tests to get a CCVP! Considering that other mid-level tracks like an NP only require 4, is this fair!?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everything is clearly laid out here: CCVP - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

No offense, but I think this is the second or third time I've given you this link. I'm not sure why you've having so much trouble with this. icon_scratch.gif

Each track has five exams, and you'll have to also do CCNA:V if you don't finish by June, 23. As you can see, Part 1 and 2 of CIPT 4.1 are just the recommended training courses; there is only one exam.

I would be willing to wager that CCVPs (on average) make more and are in more demand than CCNPs, so it would appear to indeed be fair. Regardless, they should have as many exams as are necessary to cover the material. If you enjoy working with the technology you should strive to master it. If the number of exams plays that much of a role into your desire to pursue a certification, you might want to look at something else.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Also keep in mind you have to pass the GWGK (which it looks like you have) and CIPT 4.1 before December 31st. If not you will have to take both of the CIPT 6.0 exams.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    I might add that the CVoice that I took - 642-432 - negates the need to have to take CCNA-Voice, so I only have five total tests to take to complete the CCVP track.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not sure why you would want to skip CCNA:Voice since it bridges a considerable gap in the CCVP knowledge (IOS based unified communications) and adds and extra tidbit to the resume @ the same time.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Not sure why you would want to skip CCNA:Voice since it bridges a considerable gap in the CCVP knowledge (IOS based unified communications) and adds and extra tidbit to the resume @ the same time.

cos if you're like me and only support enterprise level voice environments, ccna-voice = pointless :P uc500 = bah

crunchhippo, check out

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-5105

I'm in the same boat as you, according to the above document we don't need CCNA voice :)

Q: If I have passed the CVOICE 5.0 exam as I work towards the CCVP, and don't have the CCNA Voice, will I be required to take IIUC or CVOICE 6.0 to get the CCNA Voice pre-requisite now required for CCVP?

A: If you have passed the CVOICE 5.0 exam, you will not be required to have the CCNA Voice as a pre-requisite for the CCVP. The requirement at the time of passing the CVOICE 5.0 exam was a CCNA certification as pre-requisite, and that will remain the requirement for CCVP candidates having a valid CVOICE 5.0 exam pass.