My plan....please read

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im just MCSA certified plus Security+ as part of this. Im on Level 1 and hoping to move to another company as no opportunities in current company.

I also hope to finish Exchange MCP and MCP 70-299 Security in a Windows 2003 Network plus Linux + pre November.Then maybe upgrade exam to 2008.

I would really appreciate some advice on the following:

1 With Exchange and also Security mcp plus linux + from a cert point of view how will my cv look?
2 Would it be worth getting some work experience for cv?
3 Will I leave in/out a primary degree(non IT) some people look for this but those that do not do I leave out?
4 With certs how am I fixed to move?Moving with economy as it is maybe risky?

What do ye think of sending out cv and doing a few interviews if they come up? I do not want to burn my bridges either with companies if I do not decide to move but could do with experience not worried about recruitment companies.

Thanks a mill,
Noel

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    noel123ie wrote: »
    Hi,

Im just MCSA certified plus Security+ as part of this. Im on Level 1 and hoping to move to another company as no opportunities in current company.

I also hope to finish Exchange MCP and MCP 70-299 Security in a Windows 2003 Network plus Linux + pre November.Then maybe upgrade exam to 2008.

I would really appreciate some advice on the following:

1 With Exchange and also Security mcp plus linux + from a cert point of view how will my cv look?
    That would make you, I believe, MCSA:Messaging and MCSA:Security (that's how I'd refer to it on your CV). It would look like you have an interest in those areas, but with only level 1 experience it wouldn't necessarily demonstrate "knowledge".
    2 Would it be worth getting some work experience for cv?
    Yes
    3 Will I leave in/out a primary degree(non IT) some people look for this but those that do not do I leave out?
    ALWAYS put in your degree, if you have one, regardless of whether it's IT or not. If you've had any formal IT training or taken courses, you could add a bullet for that maybe.
    4 With certs how am I fixed to move?Moving with economy as it is maybe risky?
    It's tough everywhere. Just depends on what you have to do to survive... I don't know what kind of job market you live in, but in my mind the logical next step would be something including server maintenenace (maybe a NOC job) or desktop support (much easier to find probably)... I'd be surprised if you had to move to find something like that. Are you just itching to move?
    What do ye think of sending out cv and doing a few interviews if they come up? I do not want to burn my bridges either with companies if I do not decide to move but could do with experience not worried about recruitment companies.
    Wouldn't hurt. Don't worry about burning bridges with the companies that you may interview with... I imagine in your situation, if you didn't jump it would either be a pretty crappy position to start with or they weren't paying enough. Politely decline. I wouldn't see it being an issue..
    Thanks a mill,
    Noel
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...