Options

Non-vendor VOIP Cert?

LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys...

So basically most of my carrer I´ve been in Cisco world. Now I´m getting a lot of experience in differents equipments. Also, I was focusing a lot on Security, but now I am also supporting some VOIP stuff. And we don´t use any Cisco for that.

I was wondering if there was a vendor-neutral VOIP cert out there that you could recommend? I might end up going for CCVP, but wanna be clear on my options, besides I´m still working on CCSP and don´t want all my certs to be just Cisco.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool, didn´t now about that, looks like what I´m looking for.

Any other recommends courses out there? Not necessarily tied to a Cert, but that you could get a good grip on VOIP stuff.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen some of the Community Colleges here in the US offering a VoIP Course that's usually based on the open source Asterisk software. If you don't have an inexpensive training option like that around you, it may still be useful to check out Asterisk :: The Open Source PBX & Telephony Platform | and try some things with the software.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can also look into the CTP-Convergance Technologies Professional. I was thinking about looking into this a while back when I was doing non Cisco VoIP work. Never actually got around to it though. This certification looks to be recognized by a lot of the major VoIP vendors if you read the About page on the CTP website.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for this thread, might help me out a little!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the Convergence+ test about a month ago and it was basically what I expected. It touched on wireless, VoIP, video, QoS, security, and a few other things which I am sure you have already seen in the Comptia curriculum. I used the McGraw Hill book by Tom Carpenter and over all it was a good book for the test. I think he went a bit more in-depth into the wireless area then he needed to. Although if you look under his name he has his certifications there MCP, CWNA, CWSP so that may be why he put so much wireless in there.

I have looked into the CTP exam bought the electronic exam study guide from them and I think it was $21 for it. I have only browsed it so far and I must say they pack a lot of info into this ~140 page guide. I notice it likes to talk about something for a few paragraphs then refer you to a website that has more information on it (As I assume the guide doesn’t cover 100% of the info as it will just refer you to where the rest of it can be found). The test doesn't "sound" to hard as it looks like it is multiple choose but like I said there is so much stuff this seems to cover. If I remember right I think there were only 6000+ people certified but one thing they boost about is that TIA sponsored. I did notice that this exam doesn't expire either but you will be certified for the year the exam was put out (currently 2007). So far this looks like it is going to be a tough test. They seem to hit every nook and cranny that you would need to know for CTP. Bottom line the information covered here is defiantly a higher level. It wasn’t till today I heard of or knew what DECT was.

I hope this was helpful.