Options

alittle clarification....

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey

I'm trying study so I can retake the 601 but I'm confused on two things.

Do you need the windows xp disk to run the SFC /scannow command for xp?

It asked me for a disk in windows 2000 professional to run the SFC /scannow command.

Also I'm looking for the cmdcons on my xp disk but I can't find it.

I found something with the words spcmdcon in it but I googled the word and
I got mixed results to what it was.

I want to install cmdcon so I can have experience installing it and I'll have it just incase I need it.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    last I tried to do sfc /scannow on an XP machine (last week) it did ask for the XP install disk after a few seconds...however, if you have the installation disk files copied to your hard drive I believe you have the option to redirect it to that directory.

As for the recovery console, check this out, should give you the info you need.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Do you know what files would I need to put on my hard drive?

Thanks for the microsoft information. I didn't think it would work because
    it's a different file. I'll give it a try in a little bit.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will need the XP CD to run SCF / scannow. It scans the OS files and will copy over any you need. You can also run chkdsk /r to recover missing files like config, etc.

You can set RC as a startup option on your computer. To use it, you need to put the CD in the drive, then type the following text.

D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons. where D: is the driver letter of your CD/DVD drive.
    You should get a message stating the command has successfully run.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP try this link if you have any questions.
  • Options
    The cmdcons worked out :D I just wasn't sure because I didn't see cmdcons when I searched the cd for it but I found the program called spcmdcon instead.

Thanks for the help :D
    Booya!!